What does V^G mean in linear algebra?

• I
  • Thread starter cask1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the notation V^G refers to the set of invariant elements of a group G acting on a vector space V. It is often used in the context of rational representations and can also be written as (V^*)^G when the group acts linearly on the dual space of V.
cask1
TL;DR Summary
Hi. Newbee question. What does the notation V^G mean where V is a vector space and G is a group? I found it in: A linear algebraic group G is called linearly reductive if for every rational representation V and every v in V^G \ {0}, there exists a linear invariant function f in (V^*)^G such that f(v)<>0. I can't find a definition of the notation using google. Thanks.
Hi. Newbee question. What does the notation V^G mean where V is a vector space and G is a group? I found it in: A linear algebraic group G is called linearly reductive if for every rational representation V and every v in V^G \ {0}, there exists a linear invariant function f in (V^*)^G such that f(v)<>0. I can't find a definition of the notation using google. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally for sets ##X## and ##Y##, ##X^Y## is the set of functions from ##Y## to ##X##. In a context like this, it's often meant to be limited to functions of the desired type, e.g. only representations.

That doesn't really make sense here, since a representation is a map ##G\to GL(V)##, not a map from ##G## to ##V##.

When a group ##G## acts on a set ##X## (in your case ##V##), sometimes one writes ##X^G## for the set of invariant elements, that is, the elements of ##X## that are fixed by all group elements. Note that if ##G## acts linearly on ##V##, then it also does on ##V^*##, so it makes sense to write ##(V^*)^G## in your example.

Last edited:

What does V^G mean in linear algebra?

V^G in linear algebra refers to the dual space of a vector space V. It is the set of all linear functionals on V, which are mappings from V to the underlying field of scalars (usually real or complex numbers).

How is V^G related to V?

V^G is a separate vector space from V, but it is closely related. The dimension of V^G is equal to the dimension of V, and the elements of V^G are linear functionals that act on the elements of V. This means that V^G is a space of functions that take vectors as inputs and return scalars as outputs.

What is the significance of V^G in linear algebra?

V^G is important in linear algebra because it allows us to study the properties of a vector space V by looking at its dual space. It also helps us to define concepts such as orthogonality and duality, and it has applications in areas such as optimization and functional analysis.

How is V^G represented in matrix form?

In order to represent V^G in matrix form, we need to choose a basis for V and its dual space V^G. The matrix representation of a linear functional in V^G is a row vector, and the matrix representation of a vector in V is a column vector. The action of a linear functional on a vector can then be represented as a matrix multiplication.

Can V^G be infinite-dimensional?

Yes, V^G can be infinite-dimensional if the vector space V is also infinite-dimensional. This means that there can be an infinite number of linear functionals on V, and thus an infinite number of elements in V^G. This is often the case in functional analysis, where the dual space plays a crucial role in studying infinite-dimensional vector spaces.