Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about parametrization and number of free variables

1. Aug 20, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, how come when you have a parametric equation with two free variables it creates a surface, but when you have a parametric equation with one free variable it draws out a line? I sort of get it intuitively, one dimension is just a line, two dimensions is a plane, so I guess this sort of corresponds to this effect, but is there a more rigorous explanation? I didn't know which section to put this in, sorry if it's not the right one.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's pretty much it. A geometric set has "dimension n" means that we can determine specific points in the set using n free variables or parameters.

4. Aug 21, 2012 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

In a less natural/immediate way than HallsofIvy's comment, is the fact that curves

(reasonably-nice ones , at least ), are 1-dimensional manifolds, and surfaces are

2-D manifolds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook