A question about one of Archimedes' works

In summary, Archimedes' work on spheres and cylinders, specifically in his book On the Sphere and Cylinder, includes three important results. The first being the proof that the surface area of a sphere is four times that of any great circle, such as the equator of a spherical Earth. The second result is the proof that the volume of a sphere is two thirds that of a cylinder fitting tightly around the sphere. And the third result states that the area of any segment of the sphere cut off by a plane is the same as the corresponding segment of such a cylinder. This means that if you cut a cylinder anywhere along its axis and look for the area of the sphere encased within, it will match the outer surface of the cylinder element
murshid_islam
I was reading "Significant Figures: The Lives and Work of Great Mathematicians" by Ian Stewart. The following is an excerpt from its chapter on Archimedes:

On the Sphere and Cylinder contains results of which Archimedes was so proud that he had them inscribed on his tomb. He proved, rigorously, that the surface area of a sphere is four times that of any great circle (such as the equator of a spherical Earth); that its volume is two thirds that of a cylinder fitting tightly round the sphere; and that the area of any segment of the sphere cut off by a plane is the same as the corresponding segment of such a cylinder.

So, the first one was that he proved the surface area of a sphere ##= 4\pi r^2##.
The second one is the result that the volume of a sphere ##= \left(\frac{2}{3}\right)2\pi r^3 = \frac{4}{3}\pi r^3##.
But what is the third one? What does "the area of any segment of the sphere cut off by a plane is the same as the corresponding segment of such a cylinder" mean?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The phrasing is strange, but I assume this is the area of a spherical cap, 2 pi r h where h is the "height" of the cap: This is the same area of the cylinder from the first statement within the same height.
In other words, cut the cylinder orthogonal to its axis anywhere, look for the area of the sphere encased within and it will match the outer surface of the cylinder element (assuming you cut in places that intersect the sphere).

Likes murshid_islam and Lnewqban
A work of the ancients that unerringly delights is Ptolemy's theorem about cyclic polynomials. It just seems amazing to me.

Fixed link...

Last edited:
murshid_islam said:
... What does "the area of any segment of the sphere cut off by a plane is the same as the corresponding segment of such a cylinder" mean?

Copied from
https://mathworld.wolfram.com/ArchimedesHat-BoxTheorem.html

NumberedEquation1.gif

ArchimedesHatBox_1000.gif

Copied from
http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.99/wilkie1.html
wilkie1.1.gif
wilkie1.2.gif

Last edited:
Likes mathwonk, murshid_islam and mfb
hutchphd said:
A work of the ancients that unerringly delights is Ptolemy's theorem about cyclic polynomials. It just seems amazing to me.

Fixed link...
I'm not sure I understand how that is relevant to Archimedes' works on spheres and cylinders. Am I missing something?

Thank you, mfb and Lnewqban.

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is Archimedes' most famous work?

Archimedes' most famous work is "On the Measurement of a Circle", in which he calculated the value of pi for the first time.

2. What is the significance of Archimedes' work?

Archimedes' work is significant because it laid the foundation for many mathematical concepts and principles that are still used today. His contributions to geometry, calculus, and mechanics have had a lasting impact on the field of mathematics.

3. What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This principle is essential in understanding the behavior of objects in fluids and is the basis for many engineering and scientific applications.

4. How did Archimedes' work influence other scientists?

Archimedes' work has influenced many scientists and mathematicians throughout history. His discoveries and theories have been built upon by other scientists, and his methods of problem-solving and experimentation have inspired many to pursue scientific inquiry.

5. What is the "Eureka" moment associated with Archimedes?

The "Eureka" moment associated with Archimedes is when he discovered the principle of buoyancy while taking a bath. He realized that the volume of water displaced by his body was equal to the volume of his body, and this led him to the principle that now bears his name.