Understanding Photons: Query about v in Einstein's Equation | R.apaparioscios

• Thread starter Raparicio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary: Best Regards,It would be helpful to have a more concrete example before trying to understand this more.
Raparicio
Hello All,

I have a question about photons. In A. Einstein ecuation (about Lorenzt transformation), there's a square root of c^2-v^2. My question is about what is the v represented: a vector? Only one direction vector? Only his module?

best reggards.

R.apaparioscios.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean (1 - β^2)^1/2, where β = v/c? It's just the size of the velocity, so the modulus.

Ok

Nylex said:
Do you mean (1 - β^2)^1/2, where β = v/c? It's just the size of the velocity, so the modulus.

It's right. Is the modulus, but: could be a paravector?

What's a paravector? :confused:

Paravector

Hello now,

A paravector is a generalization of a vector, with a non-vectorial part and a vectorial part (like complex numbers have Real + Complex number). There are more generenalizations of vectors, like hypercomplex of hamilton, and the most general interesting now is Clifford Algebras and Geometric Algebra.

Could say that a vector is a paravector without escalar part in this example.

my best reggards.

You'd need a new theory for that.For the Theory of Relativity developed over the last exactly 100 years,that "v" from [itex]\beta [/itex] or [itex] \gamma [/itex] is a scalar,namely [itex]\left|\vec{v}\right| [/itex]...That "v" has nothing to do with photons,of course...

Daniel.

Raparicio said:
Hello All,

I have a question about photons. In A. Einstein ecuation (about Lorenzt transformation), there's a square root of c^2-v^2. My question is about what is the v represented: a vector? Only one direction vector? Only his module?

best reggards.

R.apaparioscios.

the v is just an ordinary velocity-vector. It has three dimensions or equivalently it has three components, just like in the case of Lorentz transformations. That's all. The v² is the magnitude of this vector which is determined by calculating the scalar product of this vector with itself.

The v is the velocity of one frame of reference to another...
marlon

Paravector

marlon said:
the v is just an ordinary velocity-vector. It has three dimensions or equivalently it has three components, just like in the case of Lorentz transformations. That's all. The v² is the magnitude of this vector which is determined by calculating the scalar product of this vector with itself.

The v is the velocity of one frame of reference to another...
marlon

Could be the velocity, a paravector or multivector, and this 'v' its module?

It could iff u changed the whole theory.It could be pseudovector,the trace of a rank 658 tensor,etc...

Daniel.

Whole theory?

dextercioby said:
It could iff u changed the whole theory.It could be pseudovector,the trace of a rank 658 tensor,etc...
Daniel.

Daniel,

What whole theory?

Maybe he means SR, I dunno.

Yeah,change SR,you'll need to change GR as well.For the time being,they are successful theories and these theories address the velocity in the "gamma-factor" as the modulus of an ordinary 3-vector...

Daniel.

Meaning of SR and GR

dextercioby said:
Yeah,change SR,you'll need to change GR as well.For the time being,they are successful theories and these theories address the velocity in the "gamma-factor" as the modulus of an ordinary 3-vector...
Daniel.

I'm sorry for my ignorance. What means SR and GR?

Special Relativity and General Relativity.

Daniel.

Ok

dextercioby said:
Special Relativity and General Relativity.
Daniel.

Dear Daniel,

What I say is, what to unify SR an GR, we need to think the same way in both, and Geometrical Algebra provides a new tools to face it. If we take a multivector and apply a generalization of the Bertrand Russell circle, there are very interesting insights.

But this is very confusing to me.

Thanks another time.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light and electromagnetic radiation. It is the smallest unit of light and has no mass, but carries energy and momentum.

2. How is a photon created?

Photons are created when an atom or molecule undergoes a change in energy, such as when an electron moves to a higher energy level or when an atom is heated. They can also be created through nuclear reactions or by accelerating charged particles.

3. What is the speed of a photon?

The speed of a photon in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, which is the fastest speed possible in the universe.

4. Do photons have mass?

No, photons do not have mass. They are massless particles, which is why they can travel at the speed of light.

5. How do photons interact with matter?

Photons can interact with matter through a process called absorption, where they transfer their energy to an atom or molecule, causing it to vibrate or become excited. They can also be reflected, transmitted, or scattered by matter.