Question about physics/chemistry

• Thread starter Ritzycat
  • Start date
In summary: No, I don't perform post-mortems because I find it helpful to have a sense of closure on the exam after I receive it back. I try to review the questions and answer choices as soon as possible after I receive the test back so that I can gauge how well I understand the material. I also find that I make more mistakes on exams when I am not understanding the material as well as I think I am. I am hoping to improve my understanding of the material so that I can reduce my number of mistakes.It sounds like you are doing everything you can to try to improve your grades, but you may not be able to solely rely on studying for your success. You may also need to try to show your
Ritzycat
Hello! I have a quick question about academics in physical sciences. If I consistently earn Low B's on My Ap chemistry and Ap physiCs 1 tests, despite consistent and meaningful studying, is it still possible for me to become an engineer, physicist, chemist, or other sort of scientist one day? Any anssers are greatlyappreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but you should also strive to improve your grades.

Yes! I am trying to improve my grades, although I fear my inability to earn decent grades is an indicator that I will not be able to become a scientist or engineer one day.

I am scared of college because I fear that despite countless hours spent studying, I will not be able to earn the test grades to earn A's in the classes; Then I will not have a sufficient GPA to find a job or go to graduate school. If I can barely earn B's on tests in very simple introductory science courses in high school, I am not sure what I will do in college to earn A's at a challenging university.

It is slightly confusing to me because many students in my classes who do not have specific interests in science still do better than me on science tests.

Even though I study many hours for my exams, I have found no correlation between studying and high grades. On my Physics 1-D kinetics test, I earned an 87%, but on 2-D kinetics, I earned a 82%. For the 1-D Kinetics test I did not study very much. I studied for the 2-D Kinetics test for many hours the nights before and I felt very prepared going into the test. However, I earned a lower grade on the 2-D Kinetics test despite feeling very prepared going into the test.

In Chemistry, I studied roughly equivalent amounts for the three tests I've taken. I earned 76%, 97%, and 82% respectively. I went into each test feeling equally prepared, as I had done many different conceptual and quantitative practice problems prior and I felt prepared for everything that was on the tests.

I just want to have consistent results. I do not feel compelled to study anymore because I feel it does nothing for me. I don't feel like I am failing to understand any of the concepts being tested on any test I take. In other subjects, like history, math, and French, I see consistent (and high) test grades even though I spend very little time studying these subjects. It's too bad I don't really find any of them all that fun!

Sorry if my post sounds like a conceited rant, but I feel a bit lost right now on what to do to cure my deficiency. For Physics I have began seeing my teacher before school, during study hall, and after school; I have began to spend many hours practicing outside of school. Hopefully I will see all of the hard work pay off. I just want an A on a physics exam!

Do you perform post-mortems on the exams after you get them back? Why aren't you scoring better on them? Are you just making dumb mistakes or are you finding your understanding wasn't as good as you thought it was?

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It is completely understandable to have concerns about your academic performance in physical sciences, especially if you have been consistently studying and still receiving low grades. However, I want to assure you that it is possible for you to pursue a career in engineering, physics, chemistry, or any other field of science.

Firstly, it is important to remember that grades are not the only determining factor in becoming a successful scientist. While they are certainly important, they do not define your intelligence or potential. It is also important to consider that the concepts and material covered in AP courses are often quite challenging and may not accurately reflect your understanding and abilities.

That being said, it may be helpful to evaluate your studying habits and techniques to see if there are any areas that can be improved upon. Additionally, seeking help from teachers, tutors, or classmates can also be beneficial in understanding and mastering the material.

Furthermore, there are many successful scientists who did not excel in their academic studies but still made significant contributions to their fields. It is ultimately your passion, determination, and curiosity that will drive you towards a successful career in science.

I hope this answer helps to alleviate some of your concerns. Remember to stay determined, seek help when needed, and never give up on your dreams. Best of luck to you in your academic pursuits!

1. What is the difference between physics and chemistry?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and the fundamental laws of nature. It focuses on understanding how the universe behaves at a macroscopic and microscopic level. Chemistry, on the other hand, deals with the composition, properties, and reactions of substances. It studies the interactions between atoms and molecules to explain the behavior of matter.

2. How do you apply the scientific method in physics and chemistry?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used to investigate and understand natural phenomena. In physics and chemistry, it involves observing and collecting data, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments to test the hypothesis, and analyzing the results to draw conclusions. This process helps scientists to make objective and evidence-based discoveries and theories.

3. Can you explain the concept of energy in physics and chemistry?

In physics, energy is defined as the ability to do work or cause change. It can exist in different forms, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, and electromagnetic energy. In chemistry, energy is associated with the breaking and forming of chemical bonds. It is also involved in chemical reactions and can be released or absorbed during these processes.

4. What is the role of mathematics in physics and chemistry?

Mathematics is a fundamental tool in both physics and chemistry. It provides a precise and quantitative framework for understanding and describing natural phenomena. In physics, mathematical equations are used to express relationships between physical quantities, while in chemistry, mathematical calculations are used to determine the properties and behavior of substances.

5. How do physics and chemistry contribute to our daily lives?

Physics and chemistry have a significant impact on our daily lives. In physics, our understanding of fundamental laws and principles has led to the development of technologies such as electricity, electronics, and transportation. In chemistry, the production of medicines, fuels, and materials has greatly improved our quality of life. Both disciplines also play a crucial role in addressing global challenges such as climate change and sustainable energy sources.