Question about Planck's Law and temperature/light emission

In summary, Planck's Law describes the peak wavelength of a black body at a given temperature and not the entire range of light emitted. This can be seen in the graphic of black bodies of various temperatures. While it may appear that everything in the universe emits all wavelengths of light, the human eye can only see certain spectrums of light that count as visible light. Additionally, objects in the universe give off all frequencies of light at varying intensities. The Planck spectrum is an idealized emission based on certain assumptions, but it can still be applied in many cases.
lavadisco
I have a question about Planck's Law. When I first read about it, I misunderstood it to mean that an object at a certain temperature would only emit a very narrow wavelength of light. But as I've looked into it further it appears as though everything in the universe emits a range of light that looks like a bell curve, and Planck's Law only specifies the peak wavelength of a black body at a given temperature. Right?

Okay, so check out this graphic of black bodies of various temperatures (this is a pretty typical graphic used in black body description pages on the Internet):
[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Black_body.svg[/URL]

It would appear to imply that everything in the universe emits all wavelengths of light; that even the weakest parts of an object's spectrum are still not zero. If that's the case, then can I assume that human beings must emit visible light (in addition to their IR peak)? I know the retina is sensitive enough to respond to a single photon, but it appears that 5 - 9 photons are required within a 100ms or so to actually register a response in the brain. So are all the people around me giving off visible light that I'm not seeing?

If so, that's awesome. If not, what am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I'm not too familiar with Plancks law but I can adress one of your questions. The human eye cannot see all spectrums of light only those spectrums that count as visible light those do do include gamma, xray etc. Also we cannot see frequency changes past 66 hertz I bleive is the correct value. A good example of this is to wave your hand rapidly in front of your eyes rabidly you won't see the full movment only points of that movment. TV makes excellent usage of this in animation.
Everything in nature does radiate as all matter has a half life I can't recall the correct form of that radiation however.

Mordred said:
I'm not too familiar with Plancks law but I can adress one of your questions. The human eye cannot see all spectrums of light only those spectrums that count as visible light those do do include gamma, xray etc. Also we cannot see frequency changes past 66 hertz I bleive is the correct value. A good example of this is to wave your hand rapidly in front of your eyes rabidly you won't see the full movment only points of that movment. TV makes excellent usage of this in animation.
Everything in nature does radiate as all matter has a half life I can't recall the correct form of that radiation however.

Thanks Mordred, I'm already aware of everything you said. My understanding is that the peak emission of a typical human is in the infrared - but do we give off small quantities of visible light? And even more generally... does every object in the universe give off all frequencies of light, just at differing intensities?

lavadisco said:
So are all the people around me giving off visible light that I'm not seeing?

Yes, but it's incredibly dim. As in a couple of photons per day.

Also, the Planck spectrum is a kind of idealized emission, based on the assumptions of complete thermodynamic equilibrium (so a single temperature) and that the object is a "blackbody" (absorbs all light that impinges on it, and emission of light is just the inverse process to that). Neither of those are ever perfect assumptions, but they're often not too bad. More to the point, they represent such a huge simplification of a very difficult problem that we tend to squint our eyes and try to apply them even when they don't strictly apply, as for a human being.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to really enjoy being a part of this forum.

1. What is Planck's Law and how does it relate to temperature and light emission?

Planck's Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the temperature of a substance and the amount and type of light it emits. It explains how the intensity and wavelength of light emitted by a blackbody (an object that absorbs all light that falls on it) changes as the temperature of the object changes.

2. How did Max Planck discover this law?

Max Planck, a German physicist, derived this law in 1900 while studying the behavior of electromagnetic radiation. He found that in order to explain the observed behavior of light, he needed to introduce the concept of quantization, which states that energy can only be emitted or absorbed in discrete chunks, rather than continuously. This led to the development of quantum mechanics.

3. How does temperature affect the color of light emitted by an object?

According to Planck's Law, as the temperature of an object increases, the peak wavelength of light emitted by the object shifts to shorter wavelengths, meaning the light becomes bluer. Conversely, as the temperature decreases, the peak wavelength shifts to longer wavelengths, making the light appear redder. This is why hot objects, such as stars, appear blue or white, while cooler objects, such as campfires, appear orange or red.

4. Can Planck's Law be applied to all types of light emission?

No, Planck's Law is specifically applicable to blackbodies and idealized objects that absorb all radiation that falls on them. In reality, most objects do not behave as perfect blackbodies, so this law is only an approximation for real-world situations. However, it is still a useful tool for understanding the behavior of light emission in many situations.

5. How is Planck's Law used in practical applications?

Planck's Law has various applications in fields such as astronomy, thermodynamics, and materials science. It is used to study the properties of stars and other celestial bodies, as well as to understand and predict the behavior of different materials at different temperatures. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and thermal imaging cameras.