Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about professional computer programming?

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    What are areas of programming that are more theory oriented and deal with more abstract ideas? Is this pretty much all of programming?

I'm learning a few languages (competent in some) and curious.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm thinking AI is pretty theoretical.
    Computer Science is an applied science though so everything tends to be brought back to something you can code. Usually the programming part gets used to study something theoretical rather than actually being the theory.

There are related fields like information theory.

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

As Simon Bridge pointed out, things get practical some time or another.

Having said that I would suggest on top of AI, non-procedural languages (in particular ProLog) as well as linguistic stuff (the stuff that googles of the world work on) as well as optimal classification routines for a variety of fields including computer games and graphics (think collision detection, scene representation, object representation) and a tonne of stuff related to cryptography and related areas.

Within cryptography, you have not only study and analysis (crypt-analysis) of ciphers, but also you deal with one-way functions which is really nuts.

The one-way stuff is also used for doing things like checking how a hash-collision works with respect to generating a decent distribution of collisions and this affects a lot of applications that use hash-trees for fast lookups.

You also have the stuff in compiler design (and I don't just mean the grammars: I mean the whole project that deals with a compiler). Optimizations, checking for errors at compile time, re-organizing code for various uses (one would be the target platform) involves a lot of stuff.

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook