Question About Proof: Is the Explanation from Paint Document Complete?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the sum of two numbers being least when the two numbers are equal. The speaker provides two explanations for why this is not always true, using a and b as positive numbers and denoting the sum as S1 and S2. They also mention using an example to explain the concept, but highlight the importance of proving its validity for all positive numbers.
Miike012
The explanation given in the paint document that I copied from a book does not seem complete.

They are saying that the sum of two numbers is least when the two numbers are equal.

Here is my explanation for why this is not always true.

Let a and b be two positive numbers.

I will denote the sum S1 as 2a and the sum S2 as a + b

Then I can say that S1>S2 if a>b and therefore S1 = S2 for b = a which is greater than S2 for a>b.

Second explanation: Let a and b be a positive number and I will define the sum S1 to be the sum of a finite number of n terms therefore
S1 = na = M = M + (b-b) = M + 0
If I allow M = na to equal the second term in S1 then I have na = 0 or a = 0, however I defined n to be positive and therefore a must equal itself. and therefore I can conclude that
na>0 or S1> n*0 = 0 where RHS is equal to the sum of n zeros.

Am I misinterpreting what they are saying in the paint document?

Attachments

• Sum.jpg
    Sum.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
The explanation given in the paint document that I copied from a book does not seem complete.

They are saying that the sum of two numbers is least when the two numbers are equal.

Here is my explanation for why this is not always true.

Let a and b be two positive numbers.

I will denote the sum S1 as 2a and the sum S2 as a + b

Then I can say that S1>S2 if a>b and therefore S1 = S2 for b = a which is greater than S2 for a>b.

Second explanation: Let a and b be a positive number and I will define the sum S1 to be the sum of a finite number of n terms therefore
S1 = na = M = M + (b-b) = M + 0
If I allow M = na to equal the second term in S1 then I have na = 0 or a = 0, however I defined n to be positive and therefore a must equal itself. and therefore I can conclude that
na>0 or S1> n*0 = 0 where RHS is equal to the sum of n zeros.

Am I misinterpreting what they are saying in the paint document?

It never said anything like what you claim. It says that if the *sum is given*, the *product* is maximized when the two numbers are equal, and if the *product is given* the *sum* is minimized when the two numbers are equal.

Give me an example

Wouldn't it be easier to explain with an example. You could say the sum is equal to 6
S = 6 = 1+5 = 2+4 = 3+3
1*5 = 5
2*4 = 8
3*3 = 9

Let's look at a concrete example.

Suppose a + b = 6. Here I will only consider a few possibilities. We could have (a, b) = (1, 5) or (2, 4) or (3, 3) or (3, 3), or (4, 2) or (5, 1). Then we could write a = 6 - b. The product of these two numbers can be written P = ab = (6-b)b = 6b - b^2 or 0 = b^2 - 6b + P (a quadratic in b). To show that there is a max (or min) when b = a is easy if we can differentiate with respect to b and set the derivative to 0 and solve for b (we should find b = 3 for this case). Indeed, then P = 9 which is, indeed the max (you could check this for a few values for yourself in order to "convince" yourself of its validity without rigour. That being said, you should try to prove it with more rigour than I've provided in this one example of its validity.

A similar but "reverse" idea can be applied to show that if P is given S is least when a = b.

EDIT: As you said, it's easier to 'explain' by using an example. However, the example has only shown to be true for that specific value (ie. a+b = 6). We would prefer to show it is true in general for any positive a and b. Another thing is to note that you only considered whole numbers - what about every other combination of numbers - 1.1 and 4.9, does it hold true for them? (Yes.)

But what if I asked you to show it for every combination of positive numbers that sums to 6? You would have to explicitly show me an infinite number of calculations before I could truly be 100% convinced of its validity.

Deleted

Last edited:
Tsunoyukami said:
Let's look at a concrete example.

Suppose a + b = 6. Here I will only consider a few possibilities. We could have (a, b) = (1, 5) or (2, 4) or (3, 3) or (3, 3), or (4, 2) or (5, 1). Then we could write a = 6 - b. The product of these two numbers can be written P = ab = (6-b)b = 6b - b^2 or 0 = b^2 - 6b + P (a quadratic in b). To show that there is a max (or min) when b = a is easy if we can differentiate with respect to b and set the derivative to 0 and solve for b (we should find b = 3 for this case). Indeed, then P = 9 which is, indeed the max (you could check this for a few values for yourself in order to "convince" yourself of its validity without rigour. That being said, you should try to prove it with more rigour than I've provided in this one example of its validity.

A similar but "reverse" idea can be applied to show that if P is given S is least when a = b.

EDIT: As you said, it's easier to 'explain' by using an example. However, the example has only shown to be true for that specific value (ie. a+b = 6). We would prefer to show it is true in general for any positive a and b. Another thing is to note that you only considered whole numbers - what about every other combination of numbers - 1.1 and 4.9, does it hold true for them? (Yes.)

But what if I asked you to show it for every combination of positive numbers that sums to 6? You would have to explicitly show me an infinite number of calculations before I could truly be 100% convinced of its validity.

No need; the paint document he attached proved it in general.

Oops, I guess I completely misread that. However, if you were to try to prove this yourself it would not suffice to provide one example in which it is true.

FAQ: Question About Proof: Is the Explanation from Paint Document Complete?

1. What is the purpose of proving something in science?

The purpose of proving something in science is to provide evidence and support for a hypothesis or theory. By using various techniques and experiments, scientists can gather data and analyze it to determine the validity of their claim or explanation.

2. How do scientists use evidence to prove something?

Scientists use evidence to prove something by conducting experiments, collecting data, and analyzing the results. They also use established scientific principles and theories to support their claims and provide a logical explanation for their findings.

3. Can a scientific explanation ever be considered 100% complete?

No, a scientific explanation can never be considered 100% complete. As new evidence and technologies emerge, our understanding of a particular topic can change and evolve. Therefore, scientific explanations are always subject to revision and improvement.

4. What are the key components of a complete scientific proof?

The key components of a complete scientific proof include a clearly stated hypothesis or question, a well-designed experiment or study, reliable and accurate data, and a logical interpretation of the results. Additionally, the results should be repeatable and consistent with previous findings.

5. How can we determine if a scientific explanation is complete and valid?

We can determine if a scientific explanation is complete and valid by evaluating the evidence and methods used to support it. The explanation should be based on reliable data and adhere to established scientific principles. It should also be able to withstand scrutiny and be supported by other scientists in the field.