1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about Sigma and Sum Notation

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1
    Here is the problem I'm at currently. I'm not sure that I'm on the right track or not. Also I'm not sure what numbers I should be plugging into the equation. I think it would be 2 through 6 but...?

The sum of elements in the set {ti | i = 3 } #7 on top of sigma notation

tn = 2n - 1, n greater than or equal to 1

Here is my calculation so far:

i1 + i2 + i3 + i4 + i5 + i6 + i7 = (1-1)+(2-1)+(3-1)+(4-1)+(5-1)+(6-1)+(7-1)

Where do I go next?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2
    just use the formula sigma(i, i from 1 to n) = n(n+1)/2.

In this question, there are only 7 terms, so you can also add up by hand.
  4. Jan 14, 2007 #3
    I don't understand that - why would I be adding if ti = 2n - 1?
  5. Jan 14, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't really understand your question. Is it calculate [tex]\sum_{n=1}^7t_n[/tex], where tn=2n-1?

If not, please could you quote the exact question as written. (NB, click on the formula to get the code for the LaTex equation)
  6. Jan 14, 2007 #5
    Yes sorry - I'm not able to write it exactly - don't have math software - but how you have shown it is correct
  7. Jan 14, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note that the software is preloaded into the forum, and so anyone can write in LaTex. See here for a tutorial.

If my sum above is correct, then you simply sum over n in the range 1 to 7. So, [tex]\sum_{n=1}^7(2n-1)= (2*1-1)+(2*2-1)+ \cdots[/tex] Do you see where I'm going here? Just plug in the remaining values of n, and then simplify the sum (to obtain a number) which will be the answer.
  8. Jan 14, 2007 #7
    Okay - so I do that up to 7 and then add them together or subtract?

I'd get 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 11 + 13 = 49
  9. Jan 14, 2007 #8
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to obtain the product, I simply multiply those numbers for my total?
  10. Jan 14, 2007 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thats right, you add the terms.

Is this a different question now? Do you want to find [tex]\Pi_{n=1}^7(2n-1)[/tex]? If so, yes, you would multiply the terms.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?