Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about sign convention for R1 and R2 when using the lens maker's formula

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    Hi!
    I'm having some trouble with optics.
    When we have convex, planoconvex, concave, planoconcave, and meniscus lenses, I don't understand how to substitute with the sign for R1 and R2. How do I determine whether the radius of a side is negative or positive? A book that I'm using said to take incident light in a particular direction and then measure the radius from the lens itself, but I honestly still don't understand that method at all... Then I found this:

http://www.livephysics.com/tools/optics/focal-length-for-thin-lens.html

but even though it says there that a surface "bulging out" of the lens is taken as R>0, and a surface "depressed into the lens" is R<0, it has the exact opposite shown in a few of the diagrams..

I'm confused and I would really appreciate it if someone could clarify this.
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2012 #2
    Use sign convention. For example R1 is negative if it lies on ghe left side of the pole.

4. Mar 30, 2012 #3
    It makes sense now! Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook