Question about sound frequency of an organ ?

In summary: The formula for the fundamental frequency is f1=v/2L.In summary, the conversation is about estimating the frequency of sound produced by an organ pipe based on a picture from the Jehmlich organ manufacturer. The equation to be used is discussed and it is determined that the length of the pipe is approximately 1.5m. The value for n is also discussed and it is decided to assume n=1. The final answer is estimated to be 114.6 m/s.
physicsdawg
Question about sound frequency of an organ...?

Homework Statement

Based on this picture from the Jehmlich organ manufacturer in Dresden, Germany, estimate the frequency of sound produced by the organ pipe held by the man. Assume that the pipe is a tube open at both ends.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01iq4P0e330tQ/610x.jpg [Broken]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like the formula to be used is Fn=n(V/4L)...I am not sure how to estimate length (maybe 1.5 m based on the size of the person?) And ahve no idea what n would be, or if I am evenusing the right formula...any experts...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi physicsdawg,

physicsdawg said:

Homework Statement

Based on this picture from the Jehmlich organ manufacturer in Dresden, Germany, estimate the frequency of sound produced by the organ pipe held by the man. Assume that the pipe is a tube open at both ends.
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01iq4P0e330tQ/610x.jpg [Broken]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like the formula to be used is Fn=n(V/4L)...I am not sure how to estimate length (maybe 1.5 m based on the size of the person?) And ahve no idea what n would be, or if I am evenusing the right formula...any experts...?

No, I don't believe your equation is correct. That equation applies to the case of a tube with only one end open. Since the problem says assume that both ends are open, what formula do you get?

Last edited by a moderator:

your right, it should be a 2L...from the picture I determine the length to be 1.5...what do you think of this estimation?

and how do I figure out what N equals??Thanx

physicsdawg said:
your right, it should be a 2L...from the picture I determine the length to be 1.5...what do you think of this estimation?

and how do I figure out what N equals??Thanx

I believe your length estimate is okay; it seems to me like they just want you to find a rough estimate.

About N, I would think that they want you to find the fundamental frequency.

so just assume n=1? Then I get the final answer to be square root (344/3) = 114.6 m/s

does this look right??>

physicsdawg said:
so just assume n=1? Then I get the final answer to be square root (344/3) = 114.6 m/s

does this look right??>

The answer looks okay to me (are significant figures important?), but why did you say square root?

1. What is sound frequency?

Sound frequency refers to the number of vibrations per second that produce a particular sound. It is measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. Can an organ produce different frequencies?

Yes, an organ can produce different frequencies by adjusting the length, tension, and thickness of its pipes or strings. This allows for a range of musical notes to be produced.

3. What is the range of frequencies an organ can produce?

The range of frequencies an organ can produce depends on the size and design of the instrument. Typically, an organ can produce frequencies ranging from 16 Hz to 4,186 Hz.

4. How is sound frequency measured in an organ?

Sound frequency in an organ is measured using a device called a frequency counter. This device detects the vibrations of the pipes or strings and converts it into a digital display of the frequency.

5. How does the sound frequency of an organ affect the overall sound?

The sound frequency of an organ is a crucial factor in determining its overall sound. Higher frequencies produce higher-pitched sounds, while lower frequencies produce lower-pitched sounds. The combination of different frequencies in an organ creates a unique and complex sound.