1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about sound frequency of an organ ?

1. Jul 13, 2008 #1
    Question about sound frequency of an organ....?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Based on this picture from the Jehmlich organ manufacturer in Dresden, Germany, estimate the frequency of sound produced by the organ pipe held by the man. Assume that the pipe is a tube open at both ends.
    http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01iq4P0e330tQ/610x.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I feel like the formula to be used is Fn=n(V/4L)...I am not sure how to estimate length (maybe 1.5 m based on the size of the person?) And ahve no idea what n would be, or if I am evenusing the right formula...any experts...?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Re: Question about sound frequency of an organ....?

Hi physicsdawg,

No, I don't believe your equation is correct. That equation applies to the case of a tube with only one end open. Since the problem says assume that both ends are open, what formula do you get?

4. Jul 14, 2008 #3

your right, it should be a 2L...from the picture I determine the length to be 1.5...what do you think of this estimation?

and how do I figure out what N equals??Thanx

5. Jul 14, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

I believe your length estimate is okay; it seems to me like they just want you to find a rough estimate.

About N, I would think that they want you to find the fundamental frequency.

6. Jul 14, 2008 #5

so just assume n=1? Then I get the final answer to be square root (344/3) = 114.6 m/s

does this look right??>

7. Jul 14, 2008 #6

alphysicist

Homework Helper

The answer looks okay to me (are significant figures important?), but why did you say square root?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?