Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about tensor derivative

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    Hello,

I'm beginning to learn GR and ran across the following in the beginning of Stephani's book.

In deriving the equations of motion for a force-free particle, we have the Lagrangian:
    [tex]L = \frac{m}{2} g_{\alpha \beta} \dot{x}^\alpha \dot{x}^\beta[/tex]

To construct the equations of motion we need
    [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^\nu} = m g_{\alpha \nu} \dot{x}^\alpha[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial x^\nu} = L_{,\nu} = \frac{m}{2} g_{\alpha \beta, \nu} \dot{x}^\alpha \dot{x}^\beta[/tex]

Then from the Lagrange equations we get

[tex]g_{\alpha \nu }\ddot{x}^\alpha + g_{\alpha \nu, \beta} \dot{x}^\alpha \dot{x}^\beta - \frac{1}{2}g_{\alpha \beta, \nu}\dot{x}^\alpha \dot{x}^\beta =0[/tex]

I don't understand where the second term in the last equation comes from.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It comes from the product and chain rules:

[tex]\frac{d}{d \tau} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}^\nu} \right) = m \frac{d}{d \tau} \left( g_{\alpha \nu} \dot{x}^\alpha \right) = m \frac{d}{d \tau} \left( g_{\alpha \nu} \right) \dot{x}^\alpha + m g_{\alpha \nu} \frac{d}{d \tau} \left( \dot{x}^\alpha \right). [/tex]

In the second-last term,

[tex]\frac{d}{d \tau} = \frac{d x^\beta}{d \tau}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\beta}[/tex]

is used.

4. Jan 15, 2010 #3
    Oh ok. Thank you.

I wasn't realizing the metric tensor was a function of time. Now that I think about it, it makes sense that it is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook