Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the output of a car battery in amps

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    Hi. I joined to ask this one question..but who knows maybe I will stick around and learn other things..lol...

I bought an electric 12v anchor winch which is designed to be used with a 12v car battery on a boat. I intend to use it to hoist my bicycles to the ceiling of my garage. However, the AC to DC power inverter that I tried, which outputs 3 amps...makes the winch run very slowly and with a jerking motion. I assume this is because the amperage is way low. So I need a power inverter with a higher amperage rating...

My question..how high?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Wizer.
    The requirements should be listed on the label, or at least in the owner's manual. I believe that most medium winches run about 15 amps, but I'm not sure.
  4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    Thanks Danger..

No label anywhere on the winch or on the manual...I know, there should be, right?

I ran over to RadioShack, and picked up a 15 amp AC to 12v DC power inverter and it appears to work perfectly.

So you are correct, and that confirms that I am in the right power range for that winch.

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4

Gold Member

You're quit welcome.
  6. Nov 5, 2008 #5
    Next time buy a 120v winch...cheaper, simpler and just plug it in to any wall outlet....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?