1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the output of a car battery in amps

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    Hi. I joined to ask this one question..but who knows maybe I will stick around and learn other things..lol...

I bought an electric 12v anchor winch which is designed to be used with a 12v car battery on a boat. I intend to use it to hoist my bicycles to the ceiling of my garage. However, the AC to DC power inverter that I tried, which outputs 3 amps...makes the winch run very slowly and with a jerking motion. I assume this is because the amperage is way low. So I need a power inverter with a higher amperage rating...

My question..how high?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Wizer.
    The requirements should be listed on the label, or at least in the owner's manual. I believe that most medium winches run about 15 amps, but I'm not sure.

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3
    Thanks Danger..

No label anywhere on the winch or on the manual...I know, there should be, right?

I ran over to RadioShack, and picked up a 15 amp AC to 12v DC power inverter and it appears to work perfectly.

So you are correct, and that confirms that I am in the right power range for that winch.

Thanks.

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You're quit welcome.

6. Nov 5, 2008 #5
    Next time buy a 120v winch...cheaper, simpler and just plug it in to any wall outlet....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?