Question about the uncertainty principle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the uncertainty principle and its application in calculating the certainty of an electron's location in a hydrogen atom. The uncertainty principle only applies to non-commuting operators and has units of length. The uncertainty of a value being greater than a certain number means that it cannot be known with a higher degree of accuracy, but it does not necessarily mean that the value is confined to be outside that number.
zeromodz
Okay I actually have 2 questions.

1)

ΔxΔp >= h / 2π

Is x one dimensional? Say if I wanted to locate the certainty of an electron in a hydrogen atom with a diameter of 10e-10 m. The electron is confined to the volume of the atom, not just the diameter, so could I say

Δx = 10e-10
or
Δx = (4/3)(π)(10e-10 / 2)^3

Is x in units of length or volume?

2) Say if I calculate an uncertainty of

Δx >= 12

That means I can assume that x can be anywhere greater than or equal to 12, right?

That expresses that I know for certain that x < 12. I just want to make sure I understand this whole uncertainty thing. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
2)
x is one dimensional and has units of length (Planck's constant has units of angular momentum, so it's the same units and length times momentum). The uncertainty principle only applies to non-commuting operators, therefore, since the only momentum that x does not commute with is the momentum in the x-direction (it commutes with the momentum in the y, and z directions), there is only an "uncertainty" in x and px, y and py, and z and pz, but there is no uncertainty in say x and py, or z and px.

I'm not sure I can explain that better haha, sorry.

2) Uncertainty being greater than 12 just means you can't know x to a higher degree of accuracy than 12 (in units w/e). It doesn't mean x is confined to be outside 12 though, you just can't confine it for certain within 12.

1. What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This means that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

2. Who discovered the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. However, the concept was also independently developed by other scientists, including Niels Bohr and Max Born.

3. How does the uncertainty principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

The uncertainty principle challenges our classical understanding of the physical world, where it was believed that the properties of particles could be measured and known with absolute precision. It shows that at the quantum level, there is inherent uncertainty in the behavior of particles, and that our measurements can only give us a range of possible values rather than exact values.

4. Is the uncertainty principle applicable to all particles?

Yes, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics, and it applies to all particles, including atoms, electrons, photons, and even large molecules. It is a universal principle that governs the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How is the uncertainty principle related to the wave-particle duality of particles?

The uncertainty principle is closely related to the wave-particle duality of particles. It states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, and the uncertainty principle helps explain this phenomenon. The uncertainty in a particle's position can be thought of as the spread of its wave-like behavior, while the uncertainty in its momentum is related to the frequency of its wave-like behavior.