Question about torque (I think) and a gymnastic exercise

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of two versions of the planche exercise - the straddle planche and the full planche. The speaker notes that the straddle planche is easier than the full planche, despite both exercises involving extended legs. They offer an explanation based on the location of the center of mass of the legs, with the full planche generating more torque due to the legs being straight back. The speaker also mentions the lack of similar examples for this logic.
warsaw1
Hi,

I'm training an advanced calisthenics exercise called the planche. And I noticed a while ago that doing it with my legs apart (this is called "straddle planche") it's noticeably easier than if I put my legs together (this is called "full planche"). In fact the first is used as a transition to do the second.

This is an example of the easier version (straddle planche with legs apart):
(http://www.functionallymad.com/images/planche/mainspl1.jpeg)

mainspl1.jpe

And this is an example of the harder one (full planche, with the legs together):
(link:http://www.functionallymad.com/images/planche/Planche.jpg)

Planche.jpg

I understand why if I did this exercise with my legs tucked right into my chest it would become easier than if I do it with legs extended. The radius of my body would simply be shorter. I can also find many other real life examples that would work similarly.
But in the case of straddle vs full planche I can't understand the logic (nor similar examples) since in both of this two exercises the legs are extended.
So why is the straddle planche easier than the full planche?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
warsaw1 said:
But in the case of straddle vs full planche I can't understand the logic (nor similar examples) since in both of this two exercises the legs are extended.
So why is the straddle planche easier than the full planche?
Compare the location of the center of mass of your legs when spread apart vs extended straight back. When straight back their center of mass is further back and thus generates more torque.

Likes warsaw1

Question 1: What is torque and how does it relate to gymnastic exercises?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force applied to an object. In gymnastics, torque is important for movements such as rotations and flips, as it determines how much force is needed to initiate and control these movements.

Question 2: How is torque calculated in a gymnastic exercise?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. In gymnastics, the force is typically generated by the muscles in the body, and the distance is measured from the center of mass of the body to the axis of rotation.

Question 3: Why is understanding torque important for gymnasts?

Understanding torque is important for gymnasts because it allows them to control and manipulate their movements more effectively. By understanding the relationship between force, distance, and torque, gymnasts can learn how to generate and control the force needed for various movements, resulting in improved performance and reduced risk of injury.

Question 4: Can torque be increased or decreased in a gymnastic exercise?

Yes, torque can be increased or decreased in a gymnastic exercise by adjusting the force or distance from the axis of rotation. For example, a gymnast can increase their torque by generating more force or by moving their center of mass further from the axis of rotation. They can decrease their torque by using less force or by keeping their center of mass closer to the axis of rotation.

Question 5: How does body positioning affect torque in gymnastic exercises?

Body positioning plays a crucial role in torque for gymnastic exercises. The position of the body's center of mass in relation to the axis of rotation can greatly impact the amount of torque generated. For example, a gymnast can increase their torque by extending their limbs to increase their distance from the axis of rotation. Alternatively, they can decrease their torque by bringing their limbs closer to the axis of rotation.