Question about trig substitution intervals

In summary, the professor explains that when using the trig substitution of asinϑ, we must have -pi/2 < ϑ < pi/2 instead of -pi/2 ≤ ϑ ≤ pi/2 when dealing with the term √(a^2 - x^2) in the denominator to avoid dividing by zero. This can be seen in the example given, where substituting x=±π/2 results in division by zero.
vande060

Homework Statement

my professor tell me that when looking at the case ∫ √ (a^2 - x^2) , the trig substitution of course is asinϑ where -pi/2 ≤ ϑ ≤ pi/2. What I don't understand is why my professor tells me that when this term, √ (a^2 - x^2), is in the denomenator of the integrand that we must say -pi/2 < ϑ < pi/2 to avoid dividing by zero, but I don't see how you cna be dividing by zero in this case

here is an example we can look at

∫ x^2/√(9-25x^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫ x^2/√(9-25x^2)

x = sinϑ
dx = cosϑ
√(9-25x^2) = 3cosϑ

∫ (9/25sin^2ϑ cosϑ dϑ) / 3cosϑ

I don't see how having -pi/2 ≤ ϑ ≤ pi/2 is any different from having -pi/2 < ϑ < pi/2 in this case, or any case for that matter. since you always have the constant in front of sine in the term (a^2 - x^2), the worst that can happen in the interval -pi/2 ≤ ϑ ≤ pi/2 is ( a^2 - 0) in the denominator.

Physics news on Phys.org
vande060 said:
x = sinϑ
dx = cosϑ
√(9-25x^2) = 3cosϑ
This isn't correct.
∫ (9/25sin^2ϑ cosϑ dϑ) / 3cosϑ

I don't see how having -pi/2 ≤ ϑ ≤ pi/2 is any different from having -pi/2 < ϑ < pi/2 in this case, or any case for that matter. since you always have the constant in front of sine in the term (a^2 - x^2), the worst that can happen in the interval -pi/2 ≤ ϑ ≤ pi/2 is ( a^2 - 0) in the denominator.
If you let x=±π/2, you have sin x=±1 and a2-a2sin2 x = 0.

vela said:
This isn't correct.

If you let x=±π/2, you have sin x=±1 and a2-a2sin2 x = 0.

Okay I understand now thank you

1. What is trig substitution?

Trig substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving expressions with trigonometric functions. It involves substituting the trigonometric expression with a variable, which is then simplified using trigonometric identities.

2. When should I use trig substitution?

Trig substitution is typically used when the integral contains expressions with trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent. It can also be helpful when dealing with square roots of quadratic expressions.

3. What are the most common trig substitution intervals?

The most common trig substitution intervals are 0 to π/2, -π/2 to 0, and -π/2 to π/2. These intervals are commonly used because they correspond to the standard trigonometric values of the unit circle.

4. How do I choose the appropriate trig substitution interval?

The appropriate trig substitution interval depends on the expression being integrated. It is usually chosen based on the trigonometric function in the expression and the limits of integration. The goal is to choose an interval that will result in a simplified integral that can be easily evaluated.

5. Are there any other techniques for solving integrals besides trig substitution?

Yes, there are several other techniques for solving integrals, such as integration by parts, u-substitution, and partial fraction decomposition. The choice of which technique to use depends on the complexity of the integral and the expression being integrated.