1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about vector space l^p

1. Apr 3, 2005 #1
    So if we let x>0, For which 0<p<=infinity is {1/n^x} an element of l^p?

If x=1, then 1/n^x is clearly an element of l^p for p>=2, since for all these vector spaces, the series of 1/n will converge?

But if x<1, then in it seems that only for p=infinity, will {1/n^x} be an element of l^p. Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you work out the length of 1/n^x in the l_p norm.

4. Apr 5, 2005 #3
    The series 1 +1/2+1/3+...+1/n doesnt converge. Now if we have the summation of 1/n^x, and x>1, will 1 +1/2^x + 1/3^x + ... + 1/n^x converge? If this does always converge, then as long as p>x the series of {1/n^x} will be an element of l^p,right? That is what I meant to ask before.

5. Apr 5, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

the sum of 1/n^r converges if and only if r>1. HOpefully you can use that with the l^p norm: what is the l^p norm of the series 1/n^x?

6. Apr 5, 2005 #5
    [ (1/1)^p + (1/2^x)^p +...+ (1/n^x)^p]^(1/p)

And as I stated in my previous post, this should only converge where p>x unless I am missing something.

One more question. If p<q, then why must l^p be a subset of l^q? I know that there are two cases to prove here. One in which q is finite, and one in which q is infinity. But I am not sure how I can show that this is true.

7. Apr 5, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you think all the series are finite, then yes, you are missing something.

I think you missing something else too.

(a_1,a_2,....) is in l^p iff the sum of (a_i)^p converges, right?

so a_r = 1/r^x is in l^p iff the sum of (1/r^x)^p converges, which is iff px>1.

Right? Or are we talking at cross purposes? It should be clear now why the containment you mention is true.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2005
  8. Apr 5, 2005 #7
    It isn't clear to me where p = infinity

9. Apr 6, 2005 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What isn't clear to you? (a_1,a_2,...) is in L^{infinity} if and only if its terms are bounded, so 1/n^x is in it iff x>0 (which agrees with the notion of px>1 as it happens, as p tends to infinity.

Or do you mean the containment?

If a sum converges its terms tend to zero, and in particular are bounded so its l infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?