Question about vector spaces and subsets

green
V is a vector space and W is a subset of V. could W be a vector space but not a subspace of V?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, at least not if the addition is the same.

Likes green
A subspace ##W## of a vector space ##V## over the field ##\mathbb{F} ## is a set with the properties ##W\subseteq V## and
$$
c\cdot a\in W \text{ and }a-b\in W \text{ for all }a,b\in W \text{ and }c\in \mathbb{F}.
$$
This makes any subset ##W## that is also a vector space a subspace of ##V## per definition. The only way out of this automatism is to define two different vector space structures on ##W## and ##V##.

An example: Consider ##V=\mathbb{R}## and ##W=\{0,1\}.## Then ##W\subseteq V## is a subset of the real vector space ##V.## Now, ##W## is no real subspace, but it is an ##\mathbb{F}_2## vector space. So we have a subset ##W## that is a vector space, but not a subspace of ##V## because both vector space structures are incompatible: ##1+_W1=0## and ##1+_V1=2.##

Likes DeBangis21 and green
fresh_42 said:
A subspace ##W## of a vector space ##V## over the field ##\mathbb{F} ## is a set with the properties ##W\subseteq V## and
$$
c\cdot a\in W \text{ and }a-b\in W \text{ for all }a,b\in W \text{ and }c\in \mathbb{F}.
$$
This makes any subset ##W## that is also a vector space a subspace of ##V## per definition. The only way out of this automatism is to define two different vector space structures on ##W## and ##V##.

An example: Consider ##V=\mathbb{R}## and ##W=\{0,1\}.## Then ##W\subseteq V## is a subset of the real vector space ##V.## Now, ##W## is no real subspace, but it is an ##\mathbb{F}_2## vector space. So we have a subset ##W## that is a vector space, but not a subspace of ##V## because both vector space structures are incompatible: ##1+_W1=0## and ##1+_V1=2.##
That was very helpful! Thanks.

Likes berkeman
fresh_42 said:
No, at least not if the addition is the same.

Counterpoint: ##\mathbb{Q}\subset \mathbb{R}##, is a 1 dimensional vector space over itself but it's not a subspace of the one dimensional real vector space ##\mathbb{R}##. I would argue the addition is the same :)

Likes PeroK
Office_Shredder said:
Counterpoint: ##\mathbb{Q}\subset \mathbb{R}##, is a 1 dimensional vector space over itself but it's not a subspace of the one dimensional real vector space ##\mathbb{R}##. I would argue the addition is the same :)
Yes, I should have written 'vector space structure' instead of addition. Laziness is always punished. Your 'counterexample' is the same as mine, only with another field.

green said:
V is a vector space and W is a subset of V. could W be a vector space but not a subspace of V?
It's also important to specify the field of scalars, which is part of the definition of a vector space. The Real numbers are a subset of the Complex numbers and a real vector space, but not a complex subspace.

Office_Shredder said:
Duh, I don't get why not. Care to enlighten me?

Hornbein said:
Duh, I don't get why not. Care to enlighten me?
I'm going to do things over two dimensions, to make the difference between scalars and vectors a bit more obvious. ##\mathbb{Q}^2## is obviously a 2 dimensional vector space over ##\mathbb{Q}##. It is also a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^2##. This is both a two dimensional vector space over ##\mathbb{R}##, and an infinite dimensional vector space over ##\mathbb{Q}##. If you think of it as a vector space over the real numbers, ##\mathbb{Q}^2## is not a subspace because it is not closed under scalar multiplication: ##(1,1)\in \mathbb{Q}^2## but ##\pi(1,1)=(\pi,\pi)\notin \mathbb{Q}^2##.