Question about Waves -- What does "Elongation" refer to?

In summary, the term "elongation" is used to describe the relative position of a mechanical system's point in relation to its equilibrium position, and is often used synonymously with "displacement." However, this can be misleading as elongation refers specifically to the lengthening of a spring or bond, while displacement refers to the actual movement of the system. This can lead to confusion and should be used carefully.
math04
What does it mean :g(x,t) which describes the elongation of the wave at the place x at time t. ? elongation what refer to exactlly!?

Physics news on Phys.org
math04 said:
What does it mean :g(x,t) which describes the elongation of the wave at the place x at time t. ? elongation what refer to exactlly!?
to quote from
https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/wave

In a mechanical system, the point in which the potential energy is minimal is called the equlibrium position; the relative position with respect to the equilibrium position is called the elongation. The maximal elongation is usually called the amplitude of oscillation.

• Informative
Likes Ibix
"the relative position with respect to the equilibrium position is called the elongation".
@math04 The word 'elongation' (I don't like it at all) suggests to me that the context of that particular discussion is longitudinal waves and it describes motion 'backwards and forwards' in the direction of the direction of propagation. If you replace 'elongation' with the word 'displacement' then that takes care of any mechanical wave mode.

When you find a word that gives you problems, such as this one, it is always a good idea to read around. If you had done that then you would have found 'displacement' in pretty much every other discussion of waves.

Likes Delta2
sophiecentaur said:
"the relative position with respect to the equilibrium position is called the elongation".

I not only don’t like it, I think it is flat out wrong. I took a brief look, and I can’t find elongation used as a synonym for displacement anywhere else. The dictionary definition is clear: the lengthening of something. In relation to oscillations, there is often a spring involved and elongation refers to the spring (or bond, or whatever) getting longer. In many simple 1D arrangements the elongation of the spring is equivalent to the displacement of the end of the spring or an attached mass so I can see how people conflate elongation with displacement, but those words do not mean the same thing.

Take, for example, a line of masses attached by springs supporting a transverse oscillation (passing pulse, continuous wave, standing wave, whatever). The displacement of the masses is transverse, and well described by the wave function. The elongation of the springs is easily calculable from the displacements and is not at all equal to the displacements. A perfectly good word with a pretty clear and well defined meaning, and it doesn’t mean displacement. It isn’t even correct for a longitudinal wave because the elongation of any spring will be the difference in the displacement of adjacent point masses.

Conflating these words because they happen to be equivalent in some circumstances strikes me as a grating malapropism.

None the less, I am not surprised and agree that they mean it to be synonymous with displacement. Horrible.

Likes sophiecentaur

Related to Question about Waves -- What does "Elongation" refer to?

1. What is the definition of "elongation" in the context of waves?

Elongation refers to the displacement of a medium or material from its resting or equilibrium position due to the passage of a wave. It is a measure of how far a wave has pushed or pulled the medium from its original position.

2. How is elongation related to amplitude in a wave?

Elongation is directly proportional to the amplitude of a wave. This means that as the amplitude increases, the elongation of the medium also increases. Similarly, as the amplitude decreases, the elongation decreases.

3. Can elongation be negative in a wave?

Yes, elongation can be negative in a wave. This occurs when the medium is displaced in the opposite direction of the wave's motion. For example, in a transverse wave, the medium is displaced downwards when the wave is moving upwards, resulting in a negative elongation.

4. How is elongation different from wavelength?

While elongation refers to the displacement of the medium due to a wave, wavelength refers to the distance between two consecutive points of the same phase on a wave. In other words, wavelength is a measure of the distance a wave travels in one complete cycle, while elongation is a measure of the displacement of the medium at a specific point in time.

5. Can elongation be measured in all types of waves?

Yes, elongation can be measured in all types of waves, including transverse, longitudinal, and surface waves. However, the method of measuring elongation may differ depending on the type of wave. For example, in a transverse wave, elongation is measured perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while in a longitudinal wave, it is measured parallel to the direction of wave propagation.