Question About Wiring a Capacitor

In summary, using a switch will allow you to charge the capacitor and then release the energy when you activate another switch. This is similar to how a camera flash works.
George Young
TL;DR Summary
basic capacitor question
EDIT: I looked this up and I don't think you can do what I originally thought of. Instead, you can use switches. Not that complicated. I'd delete the thread but they don't usually like to let you do that. I just asked because I don't know much about capacitors and I thought I might learn something. My charge/release circuit has two loops and three switches.

Original Question: Can I have a capacitor that is charged with the battery when you activate one switch and that releases the capacitor energy when you activate the other?

In other words, there are two circuits - one for the battery to charge the capacitor and one for the capacitor to release its energy to a coil of wire.

Are there capacitors that work like this or will I need to build my circuits some other way?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure. Switch 1 connects the capacitor to the battery. Switch 2 connects the capacitor to the coil. First close 1 and open 2, then open 1 and close 2. Can you draw the circuit diagram for that?

Likes George Young
George Young said:
Summary: basic capacitor question

Original Question: Can I have a capacitor that is charged with the battery when you activate one switch and that releases the capacitor energy when you activate the other?
Better yet, use one SPDT Form-C (break before make) switch...

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/4453/en/

1571932938614.png

Likes George Young
You could also put a big enough resistor between the battery and the capacitor so that you don't have to disconnect the battery. Then you only need one switch, and you don't need to worry about the timing of opening and closing the switches. Of course this will slow down the charging, but maybe that's OK. This is basically how a camera flash works. On many of the flash units, you can hear the capacitor re-charging after you fire the flash.

Likes George Young

1. What is a capacitor and what is its purpose?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store and release electrical energy. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, and it is often used to smooth out electrical signals and filter out noise in electronic circuits.

2. How do I wire a capacitor?

Wiring a capacitor involves connecting one end of the capacitor to a power source and the other end to a ground or to another component in a circuit. It is important to pay attention to the polarity of the capacitor and make sure it is connected correctly to avoid damaging the capacitor or the circuit.

3. What is the difference between a polarized and non-polarized capacitor?

A polarized capacitor has a positive and negative terminal, and it must be connected in the correct orientation to function properly. A non-polarized capacitor does not have a specific orientation and can be connected in either direction.

4. How do I choose the right capacitor for my circuit?

The capacitance, voltage rating, and type of capacitor (polarized or non-polarized) are important factors to consider when choosing a capacitor for a circuit. The capacitance should match the requirements of the circuit, and the voltage rating should be equal to or higher than the voltage in the circuit. It is also important to consider the size and cost of the capacitor.

5. Can I use any capacitor in my circuit?

No, it is important to use the correct type and rating of capacitor for your circuit. Using the wrong type or rating can result in damage to the capacitor or the circuit, and can affect the performance of your circuit. It is best to consult a datasheet or an expert to determine the appropriate capacitor for your circuit.