1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on a Spaceship Drive -- changing acceleration is called what?

  1. Jul 31, 2015 #1
    I couldn't find a relevant forum - that I could recognize, anyway - so, if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum.

    Ennywho, I have a question on terms.

    Let's say there's a space probe's propulsion system that is currently providing an acceleration of 1G and it is being increased to 2G. The process of changing from a 1G acceleration to 2G takes, say, two minutes.

    What is that rate of change from 1G to 2G called? Is there even a term for it? Are there any related formulas? Does it have something to do with specific impulse or any of the other common propulsion terms or procedures?

    Thanx in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2015 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

  4. Jul 31, 2015 #3
    Omigawd, I'd've never even thought of that term. I would've thought something a bit more - well, scholastic like "Oppenhoofer's Second Law of Dynamic Motion" with the term called "emphatic impulse," or something.

    But, thanx, A.T., just what I was looking for.
  5. Aug 3, 2015 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

  6. Aug 3, 2015 #5

    Vanadium 50

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

    The higher in derivative you go, the less this is used in real physics and the more it is used to win bar bets.
  7. Aug 3, 2015 #6
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook