Question on a Spaceship Drive -- changing acceleration is called what?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question about the term for the rate of change from 1G to 2G in a space probe's propulsion system. The term "jerk" was suggested and discussed, along with other higher derivatives of position such as "snap," "crackle," and "pop." It was noted that these terms are not commonly used in real physics but are more of a joke or used to win bar bets. The conversation also touched on the wacky side of physicists, evident in the way they name particles.
ckirmser
I couldn't find a relevant forum - that I could recognize, anyway - so, if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate forum.

Ennywho, I have a question on terms.

Let's say there's a space probe's propulsion system that is currently providing an acceleration of 1G and it is being increased to 2G. The process of changing from a 1G acceleration to 2G takes, say, two minutes.

What is that rate of change from 1G to 2G called? Is there even a term for it? Are there any related formulas? Does it have something to do with specific impulse or any of the other common propulsion terms or procedures?

Thanx in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Omigawd, I'd've never even thought of that term. I would've thought something a bit more - well, scholastic like "Oppenhoofer's Second Law of Dynamic Motion" with the term called "emphatic impulse," or something.

But, thanx, A.T., just what I was looking for.

The higher in derivative you go, the less this is used in real physics and the more it is used to win bar bets.

1. What is the purpose of changing acceleration in a spaceship drive?

The purpose of changing acceleration in a spaceship drive is to control the speed and direction of the spacecraft. By adjusting the acceleration, the spacecraft can increase or decrease its speed and change its course.

2. What is the technical term for changing acceleration in a spaceship drive?

The technical term for changing acceleration in a spaceship drive is "thrust modulation." This refers to the process of manipulating the force applied by the spaceship's engines to alter its acceleration.

3. How does changing acceleration affect a spaceship's fuel consumption?

Changing acceleration can significantly impact a spaceship's fuel consumption. Higher acceleration requires more fuel to maintain, while lower acceleration can conserve fuel. Therefore, it's crucial to carefully manage acceleration to ensure efficient use of fuel.

4. Can changing acceleration be dangerous for the crew on a spaceship?

Changing acceleration can be dangerous for the crew on a spaceship, especially if done abruptly and without proper preparation. Rapid changes in acceleration can cause discomfort and even injury to the crew members, so it's essential to carefully plan and execute any changes in acceleration.

5. Are there any limitations to changing acceleration in a spaceship drive?

Yes, there are limitations to changing acceleration in a spaceship drive. The acceleration must remain within a safe range to prevent damage to the spacecraft and ensure the safety of the crew. Additionally, the acceleration must be carefully managed to avoid gravitational forces that could cause problems for the spacecraft's trajectory.