Question on ap physics c 2012 free response

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating ring and the confusion over the relationship between linear speed and angular velocity. The solution is explained by understanding that when the slipping stops, the ring is rolling without sliding and the point of contact with the ground becomes the instantaneous center of rotation, resulting in the linear velocity being equal to rω.
RoboNerd

Homework Statement

The problem is attached in the file "selection(1).pdf"
The explanations/solutions are attached in "selections.pdf" which is below

[Problem image - added by moderator to make it visible in-thread]
upload_2016-3-26_14-11-8.png

Looking at how they solved part C, I have no idea why they say that the linear speed is equal to R * omega when the slipping stops. When the slipping stops, it is just rotating without any sliding, and it is stuck in place [not moving with translational motion], so why do they say that the velocity = R * omega?

Homework Equations

V = R*omega

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can photograph my attempts if you all want to see them, but my problem focuses on theory more.

I have two equations from part b. the one for the v of the ring and the angular velocity of the ring... two different things. Why do they feel that they can set these two equations equal to each other? This does not make sense as when slipping stops, I have rotational but no translational motion.

if V = R * omega, and my V is zero, then my omega has to be zero, but this is not the case as seen in the problems statement.

Could anyone please help me understand this?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• selection.pdf
    54.3 KB · Views: 293
  • selection (1).pdf
    86.7 KB · Views: 471
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the ring is moving without sliding it must be rolling. As it rolls, at each instant, the point on the ring that is in contact with the ground is stationary. That is what is meant by not sliding. Thus that point is the instantaneous centre of rotation. From that, we deduce that the linear velocity of the ring's centre is rω.

Thanks a lot! That makes sense.

1. What is the format of the AP Physics C 2012 free response questions?

The free response section of the AP Physics C exam consists of two parts: a multiple choice section and a free response section. The free response section contains three questions, each with multiple parts.

2. What topics are covered in the AP Physics C 2012 free response questions?

The free response questions cover a wide range of topics in both mechanics and electricity and magnetism. Some common topics include kinematics, Newton's laws, work and energy, circuits, and electromagnetism.

3. How are the AP Physics C 2012 free response questions scored?

The free response questions are scored on a scale of 0-9 points, with each question or part worth 3 points. Points are awarded for correct answers, while no points are deducted for incorrect or unanswered questions.

4. Are calculators allowed on the AP Physics C 2012 free response questions?

Yes, calculators are allowed on the free response section of the AP Physics C exam. However, only certain types of calculators are permitted, and they must follow the College Board's calculator policy.

5. How can I prepare for the AP Physics C 2012 free response questions?

To prepare for the free response questions, it is important to review all the topics covered in the course and practice solving similar problems. It can also be helpful to familiarize yourself with the format and timing of the exam to ensure you use your time effectively on test day.