Crystal Formation at Low Temperatures: Understanding the Physics Behind It

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of crystals at low temperatures and the physics involved. The speaker suggests that the kinetic energies of the atoms overcome the binding energies at high temperatures. They also mention trying to find articles on the subject and offer to share them with the other person.
sirrith
Hello, I am new to this forum and guess what :P my first post is going to be a question, well, a few.

Why do crystals form at low temperatures? What physics are involved with this? are there any articles on this subject (ive tried looking, but havnt found anything so far)?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In a simple picture you could think in terms of energy. The constituent atoms' kinetic energies would simply overcome the binding energies at temperatures too high. I can try to find some articles for you this week. I don't know too much about crystal formation so if I find something it'd benefit me too.

Hello and welcome to the forum! Crystals form at low temperatures because the molecules in a liquid or gas become more organized and stable as the temperature decreases. This allows them to come together and form a solid structure with a repeating pattern.

The physics involved in crystal formation at low temperatures include thermodynamics, which governs the energy changes that occur during the formation of crystals, and kinetics, which deals with the rate at which molecules come together to form the crystal structure.

There are many articles and studies on this subject, as it is a fundamental concept in materials science and chemistry. Some helpful keywords to use in your search could be "crystal formation," "low temperature," "thermodynamics," and "kinetics." You may also want to look into specific types of crystals, such as ice crystals, to find more specific information.

I hope this helps answer your questions and good luck with your research!

1. How do crystals form?

Crystals form when atoms or molecules come together in a regular, repeating pattern. This process is called crystallization and can occur through various methods such as cooling of a solution, evaporation of a liquid, or solidification of a molten material.

2. What factors affect crystal formation?

The rate of cooling, concentration of solutes, and presence of impurities can all affect the formation of crystals. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and environment can also play a role in the formation of crystals.

3. How long does it take for crystals to form?

The time it takes for crystals to form can vary greatly depending on the method of crystallization and the specific compound. Some crystals can form in a matter of minutes, while others may take days, weeks, or even months to form.

4. Can crystals form in nature?

Yes, crystals can form in nature through geological processes. Minerals such as quartz, salt, and diamonds are all examples of crystals that are formed naturally in the earth's crust.

5. What are the different types of crystal structures?

There are seven basic crystal structures: cubic, tetragonal, orthorhombic, hexagonal, monoclinic, triclinic, and rhombohedral. These structures differ in the angles and lengths of their sides and the positioning of their atoms or molecules.