Question on electric lines and conductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of an electric charge in an electric field and the concept of electric lines of force. It is mentioned that the direction of the electric field corresponds to the acceleration of the charge and that the lines of force do not make a closed curve. The possibility of creating a closed curve with a certain arrangement of charges is also brought up. Finally, the concept of a conductor not having an electric field in the static case is discussed.
Shan K
i have read that if we place an unit positive electric charge in an electric field the path in which it moves is the electric lines of force of that electric field . is it true ?

and again that the lines of force doesn't make a closed curve . is that also true ? if yes then if we can make a certain arrengement of positive or negetive charge in a manner that if we place an unit positive charge in that place it will go round and round . then the lines of force of that arrengement will be a closed curve . isin't it ?

and at last i can't understand why a conductor does not have an electric field in it ?

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Shan K said:
i have read that if we place an unit positive electric charge in an electric field the path in which it moves is the electric lines of force of that electric field . is it true ?

No, the electric field has units of force per unit charge and so will correspond to the direction of acceleration of the positive charge.

and again that the lines of force doesn't make a closed curve . is that also true ? if yes then if we can make a certain arrengement of positive or negetive charge in a manner that if we place an unit positive charge in that place it will go round and round . then the lines of force of that arrengement will be a closed curve . isin't it ?

You need to clarify this part of your question. I think you're referring to the fact that the curl of the electric field is zero in the absence of a changing magnetic field? I'm not sure what your question about that is.

and at last i can't understand why a conductor does not have an electric field in it ?

In the static case, since charges inside a conductor are free to move, then there must not be an electric field. Otherwise they would move and it wouldn't be a static case. What this means in effect is that charges inside a conductor will spatially configure themselves such that there is no electric field inside it.

Last edited:
DocZaius said:
No, the electric field has units of force per unit charge and so will correspond to the direction of acceleration of the positive charge.

so what would be the definition of electric lines of force ?

In the static case, since charges inside a conductor are free to move, then there must not be an electric field. Otherwise they would move and it wouldn't be a static case. What this means in effect is that charges inside a conductor will spatially configure themselves such that there is no electric field inside it.[/QUOTE]

is there any dynamical case ?

I can confirm that it is true that the path of a unit positive charge in an electric field is along the electric lines of force of that field. These lines of force represent the direction and strength of the electric field at any given point.

It is also true that in most cases, the lines of force do not form a closed curve. This is because electric fields usually originate from a single or a few point sources, and the lines of force spread out in all directions from these sources. However, it is possible to arrange positive and negative charges in a specific way so that the lines of force form a closed curve. This is known as a closed electric field, and it is commonly observed in the magnetic fields of magnets.

As for your question about conductors, it is important to understand that conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow through them easily. This means that in a conductor, the charges are free to move and redistribute themselves in response to an external electric field. As a result, the electric field inside a conductor is always zero, since the charges within the conductor cancel out the external field. This is why conductors are said to have no electric field inside them.

I hope this helps to clarify your questions. Keep exploring and asking questions about electricity and electric fields, as it is a fascinating and important subject in science.

1. What is an electric line?

An electric line is a path through which electricity flows. It is typically made of a material that has low resistance, allowing electricity to easily pass through it.

2. What is the difference between an electric line and a conductor?

An electric line is a specific type of conductor that is designed to carry electricity from one point to another. A conductor, on the other hand, is any material that allows electricity to flow through it.

3. Why are some materials better conductors than others?

Some materials are better conductors because they have more free electrons that are able to move and carry electricity. Materials with fewer free electrons, such as rubber or plastic, are poor conductors.

4. How do electric lines and conductors work together?

Electric lines and conductors work together to create a complete path for electricity to flow. The electric line carries the electricity from one point to another, while the conductor allows the electricity to flow through it.

5. What are some common examples of electric lines and conductors?

Some common examples of electric lines and conductors include power lines, electrical wiring, metal rods, and water pipes. These materials are often used to conduct electricity in homes, buildings, and other structures.