Question on Evaluating a Power Supply

In summary, the power supply is rated at 9V and 2000 mA and can power a guitar effect pedal with resistive loads of 16, 8 and 4.5 ohms. The voltage varied by about 5% with load, but is regulated so it should be fine for most pedals.
jeffamm
I'm evaluating a wall-transformer type power supply used to power guitar effect pedals as a replacement for a 9V battery. It's rated at 9V and 2000 mA. I put resistive loads on it of (nominally) 16, 8 and 4.5 ohms, and made measurements with a Klein Tools MM1000 multi-meter. Here's what I got:

Load DC V DC I AC mV

None 9.14V 0A 280-305 varying
16 ohms 9.01V .56A same
8 ohms 8.87V 1.11A same
4.5 ohms 8.67V 1.88A same

I measured the AC millivolts in hopes of characterizing the ripple voltage but I found the readings varied from 280mV to 305mV after about 5 minutes, and didn't change when the loads where changed. I thought I might just be measuring noise, and unplugged the transformer to see if the AC reading went to zero (it did) but I don't know if that proves anything. I don't have access to an oscilloscope. Is there a better way to measure ripple and can I conclude anything from my measurement?

The DC output voltage varied by about 5% with loads. Is that good, bad or typical for battery replacement power supplies? Any other observations about the data?

thanks in advance for any help

Engineering news on Phys.org
I assume you are talking about a standard 9V battery. The rated capacity for an Alkaline PPP3 => 565mAh. A 16 ohm load on a nominal 9V source should draw:

9 = 16 * I = 0.5625A

and should last about 1 hour. An 8 ohm load would drain the battery in half that time etc, etc.

Assuming the 9V battery has an internal resistance of 2 ohms, the apparent battery voltage with an 8 ohm load would be:

9V = (8 + 2) * I = .9A

The voltage drop across the load would be:

E = .9 * 8 => E = 7.2V

This means that IF your circuit uses a standard 9V battery AND it presents an 8 ohm load to it AND the circuit performs as it should, then the circuit can perform satisfactorily @ 7.2V input, suggesting that your wal-wort would be well within tolerance @ 8.87V.

Actually I think the power supply you are evaluating is considerably larger than required; however, it should work just fine.

Fish

Thanks Fish. I should have been clearer that this unit would replace the batteries in many pedals at the same time, not simply a single battery. A typical guitar pedal board might have 5 to 10 pedals, and the battery connectors would get daisy chained to this power supply, up to its maximum capacity.

Because the voltage doesn't vary _that much_ with load it looks like you have a regulated wall-wart -- which is a good thing. Your usual garden variety wart is un-regulated and thus the unloaded voltage can be up to twice the marked value, approaching to the speced value at the speced current draw.

I don't know why the apparent ripple changes over time, but it might not matter. The best course of action is to power up a couple of your effects boxes with the supply and see if you can hear any objectionable hum. If it's too bad, adding a big capacitor across the supply output could help event out the ripple.

You can probably guestimate the total current you need for all your boxes based on the time it takes for all your batteries to run down and Fish4Fun's numbers above. Or you can measure the current by putting a small (maybe 1 ohm) resistor in line to a battery terminal and measuring the voltage across it when the box is humping it's mostest.

1. What is a power supply and what does it do?

A power supply is a device that converts electrical energy from a power source, such as a wall outlet, into the appropriate form of energy needed to power electronic devices. It provides a stable and constant supply of power to ensure proper functioning of electronic components.

2. How do I know if a power supply is compatible with my device?

You can determine compatibility by checking the power supply's voltage, current, and wattage ratings. These should match or be within the acceptable range of your device's requirements. It is also important to ensure that the connectors on the power supply match those on your device.

3. What are the factors to consider when evaluating a power supply?

Some important factors to consider include the power supply's wattage, efficiency, stability, and protections. Higher wattage and efficiency means the power supply can handle more devices and waste less energy. Stability refers to the consistency of voltage and current output, while protections such as overvoltage and overcurrent protection safeguard your devices from damage.

4. Why is the efficiency of a power supply important?

The efficiency of a power supply is important because it affects energy usage and cost. A more efficient power supply will waste less energy, leading to lower electricity bills and a smaller carbon footprint. Additionally, a highly efficient power supply will generate less heat, reducing the need for additional cooling systems.

5. How do I troubleshoot a faulty power supply?

If your device is not receiving power or experiencing issues, the power supply may be the cause. To troubleshoot, first check the power outlet and ensure it is functioning. Next, inspect the power supply for any physical damage or loose connections. If everything appears to be in good condition, you may need to use a multimeter to test the voltage output of the power supply. If it is not within the acceptable range, it may need to be replaced.