Question on First Law of Thermodynamics (Paramagnet)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the first law of thermodynamics for a paramagnetic substance and how it relates to generalised force and displacement. The equation of state for this substance is not the same as that for an ideal gas, and it is likely that Curie's law should be used to determine the relationship between M, B, and T.
warhammer
Homework Statement
For a pure Paramagnetic substance write down the differential form of first law of thermodynamics and show that C(B)-C(M)=kB^2/T^2

where C(B)=delta (Q)/delta(T) at B constant while C(M)=delta (Q)/delta (T) at M constant.
Relevant Equations
dU= delta (Q) + PdV
For the first part, I have expressed it in the following differential form- dU= delta (Q) + BdM

Now for the second part I am having major confusion. I know that B corresponds to P and M corresponds to V as generalised force and generalised displacement respectively for a Paramagnetic substance.

However I am unsure how to use the differential form as well as the possible equation M=nRT/B (from PV=nRT) in order to obtain the asked relationship. Would be indebted if someone would guide me or highlight my errors above, if any.

Physics news on Phys.org
warhammer said:
Relevant Equations:: dU= delta (Q) + PdV
This should be ##dU = \delta Q - PdV##

warhammer said:
For the first part, I have expressed it in the following differential form- dU= delta (Q) + BdM
OK. Note the change in sign where ##+BdM## corresponds to ##-PdV##

warhammer said:
Now for the second part I am having major confusion. I know that B corresponds to P and M corresponds to V as generalised force and generalised displacement respectively for a Paramagnetic substance.
Due to the sign change, if ##B## corresponds to ##P##, shouldn't ##M## correspond to ##-V##?

warhammer said:
However I am unsure how to use the differential form as well as the possible equation M=nRT/B (from PV=nRT) in order to obtain the asked relationship. Would be indebted if someone would guide me or highlight my errors above, if any.
The correspondence ##B \leftrightarrow P## and ##M \leftrightarrow -V## in the first law does not mean that you can obtain the equation of state for the magnetic system by just changing ##P## and ##V## in the equation of state of an ideal gas(!). The equation of state of your system will be an equation that relates ##M, B## and ##T## for your particular substance. You would not expect the equation of state for a paramagnetic substance to be similar in form to the equation of state of an ideal gas. I suspect that you are supposed to assume that your paramagnetic substance obeys Curie's law.

Last edited:

1. What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the first law of thermodynamics apply to paramagnetism?

The first law of thermodynamics applies to paramagnetism by explaining the relationship between the energy of a paramagnetic material and its temperature. According to the law, the internal energy of a paramagnetic material will increase as its temperature increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the difference between paramagnetism and ferromagnetism?

Paramagnetism and ferromagnetism are both types of magnetism, but they differ in their response to an external magnetic field. In paramagnetism, the material is weakly attracted to the magnetic field and its magnetic properties disappear when the field is removed. In ferromagnetism, the material is strongly attracted to the field and retains its magnetic properties even after the field is removed.

4. How does temperature affect the paramagnetic properties of a material?

As mentioned in the first law of thermodynamics, temperature plays a crucial role in the paramagnetic properties of a material. As the temperature increases, the thermal energy of the material also increases, causing the atoms to vibrate more and align with the magnetic field, resulting in a stronger paramagnetic effect. Conversely, at lower temperatures, the atoms have less thermal energy and are less likely to align with the field, resulting in a weaker paramagnetic effect.

5. Can the first law of thermodynamics be violated in paramagnetism?

No, the first law of thermodynamics is a fundamental law of nature and cannot be violated. It applies to all forms of energy, including the internal energy of a paramagnetic material. Any apparent violation of the law is due to incomplete understanding or measurement errors.