Exploring Infinite Series: Solving \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n}{k^{n}}

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for finding the sum of a series involving n and a variable k. The speaker suggests using a geometric sum and explains how to manipulate the original series to fit this form. They also mention the importance of considering the convergence of the series. Finally, they conclude that the sum is only finite if the variable is greater than 1 in absolute value.
YvesSch
Recently I have been playing around with infinite series and related topics, when I realized I couldn't figure out how to solve something of the form

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n}{k^{n}}[/itex]

How would you go about finding a sum like this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, the first thing to always try is see if you can get it into a form you recognize. For instance, (let me replace "k" with "z" because I typically use k as an index in sums and I don't want to confuse myself)

[tex]S(z) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{n}{z^n} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty n (z^{-1})^n.[/tex]

Now, for a moment, let me write [itex]w = z^{-1}[/itex], so that the sum is

[tex]\tilde{S}(w) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty n w^n.[/tex]

Is the sum starting to look a bit like a more familiar sum to you? It almost looks like a geometric sum, right? If it weren't for that factor of n, it would be.

So, the question you ask at this point is whether or not there is a way to involve the geometric sum somehow.

It may not be quite obvious to you how to do this, but notice two things: I can start the sum at n = 0, because the n=0 term is 0, and if I pull a factor of w out of the sum,

[tex]\tilde{S}(w) = w \sum_{n=0}^\infty n w^{n-1}.[/tex]

Now comes another common trick when dealing with sums: notice that [itex]nw^{n-1} = \frac{d}{dw} w^n[/itex]. That means,

[tex]\tilde{S}(w) = w \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{d}{dw}\left[w^n\right] = w \frac{d}{dw}\left[\sum_{n=0}^\infty w^n\right],[/tex]

where I've used the linearity of the derivative to pull it outside of summation (the sum of the derivatives is the derivative of the sum). Note that you can't always do this - there are cases where the convergence of the infinite sum is not nice enough that you can exchange the derivative and the sum. In this case however, since the sum is uniformly (absolutely?) convergent (for a domain I will specify momentarily) we can do that. (I may be off on which kind of convergence is sufficient).

Anywho, now you can see that the sum inside the derivative is just the geometric series sum, so you can use that result to find [itex]\tilde{S}(w)[/itex], and then set w = 1/z again to get S(z).

Recall, however, that the geometric series only gives a finite result if |w| < 1, which implies that S(z) is only finite if |z| > 1.

That was elegant and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

FAQ: Exploring Infinite Series: Solving \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n}{k^{n}}

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms that follow a certain pattern or rule. It is denoted by ∑ (sigma) and can be written in the form of Σan, where n is a variable that takes on all integer values from 0 to infinity and an represents the terms of the series.

2. How is an infinite series different from a finite series?

An infinite series has an infinite number of terms, while a finite series has a limited number of terms. Another key difference is that an infinite series may or may not converge to a finite value, whereas a finite series always has a definite sum.

3. What is the significance of convergence in infinite series?

Convergence in infinite series refers to the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases towards infinity. If the series converges, it means that the sum of all the terms approaches a finite value. This is important because it determines whether the series has a definite sum or not.

4. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

The convergence or divergence of an infinite series can be determined by applying various tests, such as the ratio test, the root test, or the integral test. These tests evaluate the behavior of the terms in the series and determine whether they approach a finite value or diverge to infinity.

5. What are some real-life applications of infinite series?

Infinite series have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the behavior of natural phenomena, such as the motion of a pendulum or the growth of a population. They are also used in calculus to approximate the value of functions and in financial mathematics to calculate compound interest.