Question on Isolating Variables

• MHB
  • Thread starter Duckfan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variables
In summary, the person is struggling to remember how to solve an equation with two variables and is unsure if they should cancel the individual variable or treat it as a "like term." They also mention the rule of doing the same thing on both sides of the equation and provide an example of treating a+1 as a single constant. They clarify that 3x - x is equal to 2x.
Duckfan
I was doing this last week and now I'm drawing blanks on an equation with 2 variables.

When you have a constant and a variable + a variable by itself, I forgot if I'm supposed to try to cancel the individual variable, or if I'm supposed to multiply/add it as a "like term".

I'm not giving equation yet (unless you really want me to) since I'm trying to solve this myself. And I'm beating up on myself too since I want to remember how to solve this. I'm just not remembering something as to what I isolate. I understand the rule on what you do on left side, you do on other. But the fact that I have 2 variables is confusing me-as to canceling the individual variable, or include it with the other term since it may be considered a like term.
Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you mean something like ax+ x, that is equal to (a+ 1)x and you can treat a+ 1 as a single constant.

HallsofIvy said:
If you mean something like ax+ x, that is equal to (a+ 1)x and you can treat a+ 1 as a single constant.

So if I had an equation or part of one eg, 3x - x, it would be 2x?

Yes. 3x - x = x + x + x - x = x + x = 2x.

What is the purpose of isolating variables in a scientific experiment?

The purpose of isolating variables in a scientific experiment is to determine the specific effect of one variable on the outcome of the experiment. By holding all other variables constant, researchers can determine the true relationship between the isolated variable and the outcome.

How do you identify the variables to be isolated in an experiment?

To identify the variables to be isolated in an experiment, you must first clearly define the research question or hypothesis. Then, you must identify all the variables that could potentially affect the outcome. The variables that are not of interest and need to be held constant are the ones that need to be isolated.

What are some common methods used to isolate variables in a scientific experiment?

Some common methods used to isolate variables in a scientific experiment include controlling the environment, using control groups, and randomization. Other methods may include using blocking or matching techniques, or using statistical methods to adjust for potential confounding variables.

Why is it important to isolate variables in a scientific experiment?

Isolating variables in a scientific experiment is important because it allows researchers to determine causality between the isolated variable and the outcome. It also helps to reduce the influence of extraneous variables, making the results more reliable and valid.

What are some potential challenges in isolating variables in a scientific experiment?

Some potential challenges in isolating variables in a scientific experiment include identifying all relevant variables, controlling for all potential confounding factors, and ensuring that the isolated variable is truly independent. Additionally, it can be difficult to completely control the environment and eliminate all sources of bias.