1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on optimization and limits

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1
    You are designing a rectangular poster to contain 50 cm2 of printing with margins of
    4 cm each at the top and bottom and 2 cm at each side. What overall dimensions will
    minimize the amount of paper used?

What i did was let the length and breath of the whole poster to be x and y so the area would be 50=(x-4)*(y-8) and perimeter=2(x-4)+2(y-8). Equate the area into the perimeter and differentiate Perimeter wrt y. However i got x=y which means its the maximum area?

Limit as x tends to 0 [tex]\frac{e^x + e^-^x -2}{1-cos2x}[/tex]
    Applied Hopital rule once and got 0/2 however answer is 1/2. Am i correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What does it mean to "equate the area into the perimeter"?

I would approach this in a different way by letting w and h represent the width and height, respectively of the printed area. From these definitiions you get wh = 50.

Now what you want to do is to minimize the area (not perimeter) of the overall piece of poster paper, so you want to minimize A = (w + 4)(h + 8). Use the other relationship to rewrite A as a function of only one variable, and then do your calculus magic.

The stuff below seems to be unrelated to this problem.

4. Nov 21, 2009 #3
    for the 2nd problm... apply it once again...it will give the correct answer
    after applyin it once it still gives 0/0 form...

5. Nov 21, 2009 #4
    Got it guys thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook