Is Using Oversized Wire for a Cooktop Safe and Up to Code?

• Thread starter Hotwire73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the electrical work was done by a licensed electrician and using an approved al/cu connector. A repairman is coming to check the work and may only be concerned with the voltage readings in the box, not the cooktop itself.
Hotwire73
Im 99.9 percent sure I have this right, but I want to confirm. During surgery I paid a licensed electrical guy to run a sub panel. I found he did it wrong and not by code placing it under the kitchen island. So I decided to use the already run 90 amp 2/0 aluminum wire and put in a box to power the 40 amp cooktop. Now I did use an approved al/cu connector in the box. I do of course have dual 40 amp breaker on panel box. I have a repair guy coming out and while I feel this is adequate, I wonder if he will try to fault this to the problems in the cooktop.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hotwire73 said:
Im 99.9 percent sure I have this right, but I want to confirm. During surgery I paid a licensed electrical guy to run a sub panel. I found he did it wrong and not by code placing it under the kitchen island. So I decided to use the already run 90 amp 2/0 aluminum wire and put in a box to power the 40 amp cooktop. Now I did use an approved al/cu connector in the box. I do of course have dual 40 amp breaker on panel box. I have a repair guy coming out and while I feel this is adequate, I wonder if he will try to fault this to the problems in the cooktop.
How was the work permit signed off by the City if the construction was not to Code? Seems like this is a matter for you to bring up with the City.

I doubt the guy that is coming to repair the cooktop will know the difference. If he has good voltage readings it is likely all that will matter.

I'm not understanding what is the question.

Are you replacing a sub-panel that you've described only as "under the kitchen island" with a box containing two 40 amp breakers ?

Hotwire73 said:
I wonder if he will try to fault this to the problems in the cooktop.
fault what ?

I'm going to close this thread until the OP @Hotwire73 sends me a PM with details of the building permit that was issued for this electrical work in his home.

What is an oversized wire?

An oversized wire refers to a wire that is larger in diameter than what is typically used for a specific application. It is often used for high voltage applications or when there is a need for carrying a larger amount of current.

What are the benefits of using oversized wire?

Oversized wire can reduce the amount of resistance in a circuit, which can lead to more efficient and reliable performance. It also allows for a higher current carrying capacity, which can be beneficial for high power applications.

What are the potential drawbacks of using oversized wire?

Using oversized wire can be more expensive than using standard sized wire. It can also take up more space and be more difficult to work with due to its larger size. In some cases, using oversized wire may not be necessary and can actually decrease efficiency.

When should oversized wire be used?

Oversized wire should be used when there is a need for carrying a larger amount of current or for high voltage applications. It can also be beneficial in situations where there is a long distance between the power source and the device being powered, as it can help reduce voltage drop.

How do I determine the appropriate size of wire to use?

The appropriate size of wire to use depends on the specific application and the amount of current that needs to be carried. It is important to consult with a professional or use a wire size calculator to determine the best size of wire for your specific needs.