Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on oversized wire.

1. Nov 7, 2016 #1
    Im 99.9 percent sure I have this right, but I want to confirm. During surgery I paid a licensed electrical guy to run a sub panel. I found he did it wrong and not by code placing it under the kitchen island. So I decided to use the already run 90 amp 2/0 aluminum wire and put in a box to power the 40 amp cooktop. Now I did use an approved al/cu connector in the box. I do of course have dual 40 amp breaker on panel box. I have a repair guy coming out and while I feel this is adequate, I wonder if he will try to fault this to the problems in the cooktop.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How was the work permit signed off by the City if the construction was not to Code? Seems like this is a matter for you to bring up with the City.

4. Nov 7, 2016 #3

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I doubt the guy that is coming to repair the cooktop will know the difference. If he has good voltage readings it is likely all that will matter.

5. Nov 9, 2016 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not understanding what is the question.

Are you replacing a sub-panel that you've described only as "under the kitchen island" with a box containing two 40 amp breakers ?

fault what ?

6. Nov 10, 2016 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm going to close this thread until the OP @Hotwire73 sends me a PM with details of the building permit that was issued for this electrical work in his home.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook