Question on Transfer Functions

• Thread starter doublemint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the closed loop transfer function can be determined by using the equation G'=\frac{G}{1+GH}, where G is the open loop transfer function and H is the feedback loop. When simplifying the equation, the resulting graphs may be different due to errors in input or calculation. However, the Nyquist plot and Bode plot serve similar purposes in determining the stability of the system.
doublemint
Hi,

Just a simple question on Transfer Functions.

If I was give a open loop TF, G, and a feedback loop H, then the closed loop TF is G'=[itex]\frac{G}{1+GH}[/itex].

So my first attempt was to simplify the G' by hand and then plot it in excel which produced a crescent shaped moon.
By simplification, I mean this:
Let G=1/s and H=1/(s+1)
G'=[itex]\frac{G}{1+GH}=\frac{1/s}{1+\frac{1}{s}+\frac{1}{s+1}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{s+1}{s(s+1)+1}[/itex]
But, then I go to mathematica and enter the G' without simplification (just [itex]\frac{G}{1+GH}[/itex])and it gave me a totally different graph.

Even though the the G' is the same (mathematically) in both cases, why does the Nyquist (and thus Bode) plots are different?

Physics news on Phys.org
doublemint said:
By simplification, I mean this:
Let G=1/s and H=1/(s+1)
G'=[itex]\frac{G}{1+GH}=\frac{1/s}{1+\frac{1}{s}+\frac{1}{s+1}}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{s+1}{s(s+1)+1}[/itex]

That looks fine except the second step looks to be a typo with the second '+' in the denominator meant to be multiplication.

Even though the the G' is the same (mathematically) in both cases, why does the Nyquist (and thus Bode) plots are different?

What kind of graphs did you do? Obviously they should be the same whether you use excel or mathematica.

Bode plots have increasing frequency on the horizontal axis and present the gain and phase of a complex quantity as w varies in a typical graph form. A nyquist plot, on the other hand, is essentially a polar plot that traces the value of a complex quantity in the complex plane as w varies.

Usually the nyquist plot is done on the loop gain GH to find out if there are poles in the right half plane of the overall function G/(1+GH). You can get similar information from a bode plot of GH too but, as mentioned, the bode plot is like a standard graph whereas the nyquist plot is a polar plot.

You can think if their similarity like this: a Nyquist plot is looking to see if a polar plot of GH encircles the point -1 to determine stability. In a bode plot of GH, the magnitude of GH should be less than 1 when the phase is 180 degrees (pi). The point -1∠0 in the nyquist plot occurs at phase 180 degrees and there will be no encirclements of -1 if |GH| < 1 when the phase is 180 degrees. So you can see the gain/phase conditions on GH in the bode plot are the same as the encirclement of -1 test in the nyquist plot.

Last edited:
I did Nyquist.
Yeah you are correct. I just tried the simplified equations I posted and did another graph with functions of more complexity and both Nyquist plots are the same..

I guess I typed something in wrong :(

Thanks for the help though!

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes how a system responds to different inputs and can be used to analyze and design control systems.

2. How is a transfer function different from a frequency response function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of a system, while a frequency response function is a plot of the system's response to different input frequencies. The frequency response function can be derived from the transfer function by substituting complex numbers for the frequency variable.

3. What is the Laplace transform and how is it related to transfer functions?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert differential equations into algebraic equations. Transfer functions are derived using the Laplace transform, where the input and output variables are represented as functions of the complex frequency variable, s.

4. How are transfer functions used in control systems?

Transfer functions are used in control systems to analyze and design the behavior of a system. They allow engineers to understand the relationship between the input and output of a system and make adjustments to achieve desired performance.

5. What are the advantages of using transfer functions in control system design?

Using transfer functions in control system design allows for easy analysis and design of complex systems. They provide a clear and concise representation of a system's behavior and can be manipulated using mathematical operations to achieve desired performance. Additionally, transfer functions allow for the use of advanced control techniques such as feedback control and stability analysis.