1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on vectors ?

1. Feb 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boat needs to sail due north , but the current is flowing southeast at a speed of 20km/hr. In still wate, the boat has a maximum speed of25km/hr .

(a) In what direction will the boat actually move (relative to an observer on land)?

(b) What's the course (direction) necessary to that ship could travel North ?

(c) What is the speed of the boat relative to an observer on land?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) North .

(b) East . I using vector theory .

(c) Using theorem phythogoras :

Speed^2 = 25^2 - 20^2
    = 225
    speed = 15 km/hr

Am I correct ? PLease give me the answer .
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As you know, Pythagoras' theorem only works for right-angled triangles, and you don't have a right-angled triangle here.

You only know two directions and two lengths and the angle between them. That gives you a triangle for (a) and another one for (b).

Draw the triangles (only roughly - I'm not suggesting you measure them!), to make sure you've got them the right way round.

Then use sines or cosines to work out the unknown length and the unknown angle! :smile:
  4. Feb 28, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Remember that the "sine law" and "cosine law" let you use sine and cosine on non-right triangles. As tiny-tim said, start by drawing a picture and identifying the parts of the triangle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?