Question on Velocity, two cars moving away from each other

In summary, the conversation is about someone requesting help with a problem involving velocity and motion. The conversation includes calculations and a discussion about the correctness of the answers. Some confusion arises about the direction of motion, but ultimately it is determined that the calculations are correct. There is also mention of using a check to verify the answer and someone else having a similar question with different values.
Mrnickles
i would greatly appreciate any help towards this...i thought my workings were correct, but i don't think they are now...
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/NMchugh/Various/velocity.png Question

vAx = 80 vAy = 0 vBx = 50 cos(60 vBy = 50 sin(60

First we look at the horizontal X- component
vBAx = vBx - vAx
vBAx = (50 cos60) - (+80)
vBAx = 25 - 80 = -55km/h

Next we look at the vertical y- component
vBAy = vBy - vAy
vBAy = (50 sin60) - (0)
vBAy = 43.3km/h

vBA = √(vBAx)² + (vBAy)² = √(-55)² + (43.3)² = 70

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me except that you have motion in the negative x direction as positive. For example, I'd say that vAx = - 80 km/h, not +80. That will end up affecting your direction for the velocity.

Looks like you did it right.

my friend seems to think this is a check i can do to see if my answer is correct (gives the correct angle)
does this answer mean my workings are wrong?

tan∅ = vABy = 43.3 = 0.41, ∅ = tanˉ¹ ( 0.41) =22.4
vABx 105

i have the same question as well but a is 95 KM and b 125 KM,got the the angle point and gt stuck there thought my answer is wrong,so i don't know what to do.

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in distance (or displacement) by the change in time. The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time.

3. How is velocity different from speed?

While both velocity and speed are measures of how fast an object is moving, velocity also takes into account the direction of motion. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while velocity is a vector quantity.

4. What is the velocity of two cars moving away from each other?

The velocity of two cars moving away from each other is the sum of their individual velocities. For example, if one car is moving at 50 km/h east and the other is moving at 30 km/h west, their combined velocity would be 20 km/h east.

5. How does the velocity of two cars moving away from each other change over time?

The velocity of two cars moving away from each other will continue to increase as they move farther apart. This is because their distance (or displacement) is increasing while the time remains constant. However, the rate of increase in velocity will decrease as the cars get farther apart, due to factors such as air resistance and friction.