Question regarding a rolling ball

In summary, the ball will keep rolling until it reaches the edge of the table, even if the normal and gravitational forces are cancelling each other out.
aftershock
Hi,

This has been bugging me for a little while now. Imagine a ball is rolling along on a rough surface without slipping. Under ideal conditions it will just continue rolling indefinitely right?

However, if you were to draw a free body diagram the normal and gravitational force would cancel out and you'd have friction. How does friction not cause the velocity of the ball to change when it's the only force acting?

Physics news on Phys.org
The frictional force on the ball only arises when the ball slides. A rule of thumb is that the frictional force is proportional to the difference in velocity between the surfaces in contact. There is no frictional force on the ball when the ball rolls without slipping, because the point on the ball touching the surface has zero velocity relative to the surface. This is the reason why cars use wheels rather than something that slides--e.g. skis.

Jolb said:
The frictional force on the ball only arises when the ball slides.

Can you expand on this a little? It's my understanding that the frictional force only does work when the ball slides. If the ball is rolling the friction force is still acting (even though it does no work) otherwise the ball would just spin around in place instead of rolling along.

Well, what is work? It's equal to the change in energy. If friction can't do work on a rolling ball, how can it change its energy and slow it down?

Basically, friction creates a torque on the ball initially giving it some angular momentum about it's center of mass, but once the ball is rolling without slipping, there is no more force - the ball is just rolling freely and feels no friction.

Real balls slow down because as they roll over little bumps and irregularities on a surface they rub and scrape against them.

aftershock said:
Can you expand on this a little? It's my understanding that the frictional force only does work when the ball slides. If the ball is rolling the friction force is still acting (even though it does no work) otherwise the ball would just spin around in place instead of rolling along.

Imagine we had a ball rolling on a table in the International Space Station (there is no "gravity"; everyone in the station feels zero g's). The ball continues to roll along the table until it reaches the edge of the table. What happens once it rolls off the table? Does it stop rolling the instant it passes the edge of the table? That is what you suggest.

In reality, the ball would continue to "roll" as if it were still in contact with a fictitious table along the same linear trajectory it was following when it left the table. This is because the ball feels no torque and thus continues at a constant angular velocity, as dipole has explained.

The model of a rolling ball with friction needs to include a description of what causes the friction. The interface between ball and table must have finite thickness and that implies a variation of relative speeds over that small distance. (Radius and circumference) it's the same with gear teeth, which always rub a bit and lose energy during rotation. This could imply some energy loss with rotation.

+Even if completely smooth, the ball and table will deform in such a way that the ball's centre of mass is always slightly rolling uphill. The constant deformation will cause a slow transfer of kinetic energy into heat.

Under ideal conditions it will just continue rolling indefinitely right?

what ideal conditions?

However, if you were to draw a free body diagram the normal and gravitational force would cancel out and you'd have friction.

this is not an 'ideal condition.

Post #7 hits the nail on the head, but also is not 'ideal conditions'...

More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_friction

some practical insights are included like:
Factors that contribute to rolling resistance are the (amount of) deformation of the object, the deformation of the surface, and movement below the surface. Additional contributing factors include wheel diameter, forward speed[2] load on wheel, surface adhesion, sliding, and relative micro-sliding between the surfaces of contact. It depends very much on the material of the wheel or tire and the sort of ground.

Let me rephrase my question.

Imagine the ball is rolling along at 10 m/s to the right and I draw a free body diagram. I would have the normal force up, the gravitational force down, and the frictional force to the left.

If I add all the forces up I would have a net force of friction. If I set that equal to ma I'd be wrong since the ball is rolling at a constant 10 m/s. What's wrong with this?

aftershock said:
Let me rephrase my question.

Imagine the ball is rolling along at 10 m/s to the right and I draw a free body diagram. I would have the normal force up, the gravitational force down, and the frictional force to the left.

If I add all the forces up I would have a net force of friction. If I set that equal to ma I'd be wrong since the ball is rolling at a constant 10 m/s. What's wrong with this?
Why are you assuming a friction force?

Doc Al said:
Why are you assuming a friction force?

If the friction force wasn't present wouldn't the ball spin in place instead of rolling forward?

aftershock said:
If the friction force wasn't present wouldn't the ball spin in place instead of rolling forward?
No. Once the ball is rolling without slipping along a horizontal surface there is no friction force involved. (Except for the dissipative 'rolling friction', which I assume you wish to ignore.)

1. How does the mass of a rolling ball affect its speed?

The mass of a rolling ball does not directly affect its speed. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a ball with a larger mass may require more force to start rolling, but once it is in motion, the mass does not affect its speed.

2. What is the relationship between the shape of a rolling ball and its trajectory?

The shape of a rolling ball does not affect its trajectory. As long as the ball is symmetrical and has a smooth surface, it will roll in a straight line when released from a height. However, if the ball is not perfectly round or has bumps or grooves, it may roll in a curved path due to uneven surface friction.

3. How does the surface of the rolling ball affect its motion?

The surface of the rolling ball does affect its motion. A smooth surface will create less friction and allow the ball to roll faster and farther. On the other hand, a rough surface will create more friction and slow down the ball's motion. Additionally, a ball rolling on a slope or an inclined surface will accelerate due to the force of gravity.

4. What factors affect the distance a rolling ball will travel?

The distance a rolling ball will travel is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, surface friction, shape and mass of the ball, and any external forces acting on the ball, such as gravity or air resistance. Additionally, the angle and height from which the ball is released can also influence the distance it will travel.

5. How does the speed of a rolling ball change over time?

The speed of a rolling ball remains constant as long as no external forces act upon it. According to the Law of Inertia, an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. Therefore, a rolling ball will maintain its speed until friction or other forces, such as air resistance, slow it down.