1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding an integral

Tags:
  1. Jul 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've got an equation which I need to integrate. However, integrating it and checking with the solutions, I get two different results. I get the same result as using wolfram alpha, but a different result from the book.
    If I differentiate both results, I get back to the orginal equation, so I don't know why they are different.

2. Relevant equations
    Equation which I need to Integrate by seperation of variables: [tex]\frac{d\dot{x}^2}{dx} = \frac{2l^4 a^2 x}{(12x^2+l^2)^2}[/tex]

Result from Book: [tex]\dot{x}^2 = \frac{ l^2 a^2 x^2}{12x^2+l^2}[/tex]
    Result from Wolfram-Alpha: [tex]\dot{x}^2 = -\frac{(a^2 l^4)}{(12 (l^2+12 x^2))}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I differentiate both, I'll both get the same equation back which I integrated, I just don't understand why thats the case, since it doesn't look like they differ by a additive constant.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(1) Please clarify: does
    [tex] \frac{d\dot{x}^2}{dx} [/tex]
    mean
    [tex] \frac{d( d(x^2)/dt)}{dx} [/tex]
    or
    [tex] \frac{d (dx/dt)^2}{dx} [/tex]
    or
    [tex] \left( \frac{d (dx / dt) }{dx}\right)^2 \:? [/tex]
    (2) Show the steps you used in obtaining your answer.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  4. Jul 4, 2016 #3
    It means :[tex]\frac{d\dot{x}^2}{dx} = \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2[/tex]

For the result from the book there where no steps shown.

For my result: [tex]\frac{d\dot{x}^2}{dx} = \frac{2l^4a^2x}{(12x^2+l^2)^2} \Longrightarrow \int d\dot{x}^2 =2 l^4a^2\int \frac{x}{(12x^2+l^2)^2} dx[/tex]

Apply Substitution: [tex]u = 12x^2 +l^2 \,\,\,\,\,\,\, \frac{du}{dx} = 24x \Rightarrow dx = \frac{1}{24x}du[/tex]

[tex]\int d\dot{x}^2 = \dot{x}^2 = l^4a^2 \int\frac{1}{24u^2}du = -2l^4a^2\frac{1}{24} u^{-1} + c = -l^4a^2\frac{1}{12}\frac{1}{12x^2+l^2}+c[/tex]

There were some starting conditions which would lead to c = 0

5. Jul 4, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are correct, and the book is wrong (as can be checked by differentiating the answer---a step you should always perform).

6. Jul 4, 2016 #5
    I did perform that step as I wrote in my post and I get the same equation, though my derivative might be wrong.

Let's differentiate the solution from the book with respect to x:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{l^2a^2x^2}{12x^2+l^2}\right) = l^2a^2 \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{x^2}{12x^2+l^2}\right)[/tex]

Using the quotient rule I get: [tex]l^2a^2 \frac{2x(12x^2+l^2)-24x^3}{(12x^2+l^2)^2} = l^2a^2\frac{24x^3-2xl^2-24x^3}{(12x^2+l^2)^2} = \frac{2l^4a^2x}{(12x^2+l^2)^2}[/tex] which is the same as the orginal function which I integrated

7. Jul 4, 2016 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Even though it doesn't look like it at first glance, the two results do, in fact, differ by just an additive constant:
    $$\frac{a^2l^2}{12}-\frac{a^2l^4}{12(12x^2+l^2)} = \frac{l^2a^2x^2}{12x^2+l^2}$$

8. Jul 4, 2016 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oops, my mistake in #4.

9. Jul 5, 2016 #8
    Ah I see, thanks very much both of you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted