Question regarding centripetal force

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics behind the Gravitron ride at a local fair, specifically the centripetal force that causes riders to stick to the walls. It is explained that if the walls were to suddenly disappear, the riders would continue on a straight trajectory tangential to the circular path they were traveling. This is due to the conservation of momentum and the fact that the force pushing them towards the center would no longer exist. The conversation also touches on the concept of reference frames and how the viewpoint of the rotating ride versus a ground observer can affect the perceived trajectory of the riders.
Physics is awesome
Hi just have a basic question. Just went to the local fair yesterday and road the Gravitron ride. The ride that sucks you to the walls. I became curious on the physics that cause you to get stuck to the wall so I have been researching centripetal force. Now it seems that the seats are exerting a force on me directly towards the center of a circle. I also understand that if hypothetically all of a sudden the walls disappeared on the ride I would move perpendicular to the force (tangental to the point on the circle). To me this makes little sense as I always thought I would move in a straight line directly in the opposite direction of the center of the circle. IF you have a force pushing you towards the center wouldn't that mean you would fly away from the center in a straight line assuming the walls suddenly disappeared. Please clarify this? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the wall behind you suddenly disappears, then the force it is exerting on you goes to zero as well. That leaves you with the linear momentum (and angular momentum) that you had just before the wall disappeared. That linear momentum was tangent to the circular path you were traveling, so that is the direction you will fly off the (disintegrated) ride. There will likely be a rough landing!

Likes sophiecentaur
A basic law of motion is that you will move in a straight line if there are no forces on you. While you are in the ride, you feel the force on your back pushing you in radially, but your momentum is sideways (tangential). Momentum is conserved--force is not. When the walls disappear, it doesn't matter where the force used to be. It matters what your current momentum is. You will continue that trajectory until you hit something.

Likes sophiecentaur
People love to state that you are not 'flung outwards' in such circumstances. But it is not totally untrue because your path takes you ever further from the centre of rotation and, as the distance increases, the path becomes more an more approximately radial `(at least parallel to a radius).

There is a sense in which you do, in fact, fly directly away from the center of the ride. It's all about reference frames.

Suppose that instead of the wall completely disappearing, a hatch opens up that is big enough for you to fall through. From the point of view of the rotating ride, you will begin to drop radially outward. If you switch to the ground point of view, both you and the hatch will be moving tangentially. The hatch will accelerate radially inward away from you. Both descriptions are correct. You could continue to look straight through the hatch and see the hub of the ride. At least for a moment or two.

If you continue to maintain the viewpoint of the rotating ride, your trajectory would begin to be curved by Coriolis force, receding backwards compared to the rotating ride. If you continue to maintain the viewpoint of a ground observer, the hatch, of course, does not accelerate in a straight line but continues its circular motion while you move in a straight line. Both descriptions are correct. Either way you would lose sight of the hub of the ride. Your position would no longer fall on a line drawn radially outward from hub through hatch.

sophiecentaur said:
People love to state that you are not 'flung outwards' in such circumstances. But it is not totally untrue because your path takes you ever further from the centre of rotation and, as the distance increases, the path becomes more an more approximately radial `(at least parallel to a radius).

I think that this misses the point in that both linear and angular momentum are conserved, and the relevant moment arm for the "moment of momentum" calculation remains the radius of the rid, no matter how far the rider is thrown.

Likes sophiecentaur
Dr.D said:
I think that this misses the point in that both linear and angular momentum are conserved, and the relevant moment arm for the "moment of momentum" calculation remains the radius of the rid, no matter how far the rider is thrown.
I agree. But the difference becomes less and less - if you are considering the angle between the radial line to the projectile and the tangential line. The emphasis always seems to be in the effect at the point of release, where that anglular difference is 90 degrees and that really does conflict with what we often experience.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for changing the direction of an object's motion.

2. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force and centrifugal force are often confused, but they are two different concepts. Centripetal force is the force that pulls an object towards the center of the circle, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force that seems to push an object away from the center of the circle. In reality, centrifugal force is just an effect of the object's inertia trying to keep it moving in a straight line.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Centripetal force is present in many everyday situations. Some examples include the rotation of the Earth around the Sun, the motion of a car around a curved road, the spinning of a washing machine, and the movement of a roller coaster along a circular track.

4. How is centripetal force related to velocity and acceleration?

Centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of an object's velocity and inversely proportional to the radius of its circular path. This means that as an object's velocity increases, the centripetal force required to keep it in a circular path also increases. Additionally, centripetal force is responsible for the object's centripetal acceleration, which is always directed towards the center of the circle.

5. What are the units of measurement for centripetal force?

The SI unit for force is Newtons (N). In the case of centripetal force, the units can be written as kg * m/s^2, or N, since it is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration. However, centripetal force can also be measured in other units of force, such as pounds (lb) or dynes (dyn).