Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Question regarding certain standard integrals.

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

OK, this is something that stumped me.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\int_{}^{}{\frac{dZ}{ A^{2}-Z^{2}}} = - \int_{}^{}{\frac{dZ}{ Z^{2}-A^{2} }}[/itex]

Right?

[itex]\int_{}^{}{\frac{dZ}{ A^{2}-Z^{2} }}=\; \frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{A+Z}{A-Z} \right\}+\mbox{C}[/itex]

[itex]\int_{}^{}{\frac{dZ}{ Z^{2}-A^{2} }}=\; \frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{Z-A}{Z+A} \right\}+\mbox{C}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

But I don't see how,

[itex]\frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{A+Z}{A-Z} \right\}+\mbox{C} = - \frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{Z-A}{Z+A} \right\}+\mbox{C}[/itex]

It should be,

[itex]\frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{A+Z}{A-Z} \right\}+\mbox{C} = - \frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{A-Z}{A+Z} \right\}+\mbox{C}[/itex]

No?

I derived both (OK one of them; the other I just read from the textbook), the integrations "check out", but I don't understand why!? Why the term inside "ln" is "multiplied by -1"?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2
    Well, the integral actually comes out as the logarithm of the absolute value of something. So regardless of whether it is Z-A or A-Z, the two values will give the same answer; i.e. it doesn't matter which way around they are. (Remember there is no ln(-1).)

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Are you forgetting the absolute value?
    [tex]\int \frac{1}{z}dz= ln|z|+ C[/tex]
    NOT ln z+ C unless you are sure z is positive.

5. Feb 2, 2012 #4
    Oh ... that would explain it.

My textbook didn't put the absolute value brackets**. -_-

Thanks.

**Ya, it's not the best book, quite a few obvious typos, but it's easy enough to read. Should really get a more rigorous and accurate "second opinion" ...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook