1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding certain standard integrals.

1. Feb 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

OK, this is something that stumped me.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\int_{}^{}{\frac{dZ}{ A^{2}-Z^{2}}} = - \int_{}^{}{\frac{dZ}{ Z^{2}-A^{2} }}[/itex]

Right?

[itex]\int_{}^{}{\frac{dZ}{ A^{2}-Z^{2} }}=\; \frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{A+Z}{A-Z} \right\}+\mbox{C}[/itex]

[itex]\int_{}^{}{\frac{dZ}{ Z^{2}-A^{2} }}=\; \frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{Z-A}{Z+A} \right\}+\mbox{C}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

But I don't see how,

[itex]\frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{A+Z}{A-Z} \right\}+\mbox{C} = - \frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{Z-A}{Z+A} \right\}+\mbox{C}[/itex]

It should be,

[itex]\frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{A+Z}{A-Z} \right\}+\mbox{C} = - \frac{1}{2A}\ln \left\{ \frac{A-Z}{A+Z} \right\}+\mbox{C}[/itex]

No?

I derived both (OK one of them; the other I just read from the textbook), the integrations "check out", but I don't understand why!? Why the term inside "ln" is "multiplied by -1"?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2012 #2
    Well, the integral actually comes out as the logarithm of the absolute value of something. So regardless of whether it is Z-A or A-Z, the two values will give the same answer; i.e. it doesn't matter which way around they are. (Remember there is no ln(-1).)

4. Feb 2, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you forgetting the absolute value?
    [tex]\int \frac{1}{z}dz= ln|z|+ C[/tex]
    NOT ln z+ C unless you are sure z is positive.

5. Feb 2, 2012 #4
    Oh ... that would explain it.

My textbook didn't put the absolute value brackets**. -_-

Thanks.

**Ya, it's not the best book, quite a few obvious typos, but it's easy enough to read. Should really get a more rigorous and accurate "second opinion" ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook