Question regarding holomorphic functions

• Thread starter Susanne217
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: HallsofIvy is the area between the function f(z) and the line y=mx+c that passes through z_0. The area is only valid if f is holomorphic at z_0.
Susanne217

Homework Statement

Given a complex valued function [tex]f(z) = 1/z^2+1[/tex] show the area for which its holomorphic?

Homework Equations

I know that if [tex]f:\Omega \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/tex] and [tex]z_0 \in \Omega[/tex]

then [tex]f'(z_0) = \lim_{z \rightarrow z_0} \frac{f(z)-f(z_0)}{z-z_0}[/tex]

if the limit exists then f is holomorphic at the point [tex]z_0[/tex]...

The Attempt at a Solution

To show the area for which f is holomorphic isn't this simply to check if the definition above can be applied to every [tex]z_0[/tex] of f?? Or am I missing something here?

where the two possiblites for [tex]z_0 = \pm i[/tex] or is it simply that f is holomorphic on the area [tex]\Omega - \{\pm i\}[/tex] ??

Best Regards
Susanne

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, is that [tex](1/z^2)+ 1= \frac{1}{z^2}+ 1[/tex] or [tex]1/(z^2+ 1)= \frac{1}{z^2+ 1}[/itex]?

The first is not defined at z= 0 and the second is not defined at z= i or z= -i.

HallsofIvy said:
First, is that [tex](1/z^2)+ 1= \frac{1}{z^2}+ 1[/tex] or [tex]1/(z^2+ 1)= \frac{1}{z^2+ 1}[/itex]?

The first is not defined at z= 0 and the second is not defined at z= i or z= -i.

HallsofIvy its suppose to to be

[tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{z^2+1}[/tex]

Isn't the point being here that the holomorphic definition can be applied to every point in [tex]\Omega[/tex] except [tex]\pm i[/tex] ??

Susanne217 said:
HallsofIvy its suppose to to be

[tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{z^2+1}[/tex]

Isn't the point being here that the holomorphic definition can be applied to every point in [tex]\Omega[/tex] except [tex]\pm i[/tex] ??

By that I mean that according to the definition of holomorph then a function can only be called holomorphic iff its complex differentiable in all points...

But since [tex]f'(z_0 = \pm i)[/tex] doesn't exist then as I understand the definition of Holomorphic functions that f is holomorphic [tex]\forall z_0 \in \mathbb{C} \setminus \{\pm i\}[/tex]

Because [tex](\frac{f}{g}^{\prime})(z_0) = 0[/tex] then [tex]z_0 = \pm i[/tex] and hence the definition of Holomorphic doesn't apply then [tex]z_0 = \pm i[/tex]. Then the area for which f is holomorphic is [tex]\forall z_0 \in \mathbb{C} \setminus \{\pm i\}[/tex].. As I see it...

where [tex]\Omega(z_0,r)[/tex] where r>0 with the exception above is the area for which f is holomorphic...

How is that Hallsoftivy??

Last edited:

1. What is a holomorphic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point within its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has no sharp corners or breaks.

2. How do I know if a function is holomorphic?

To determine if a function is holomorphic, it must satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which state that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to its real and imaginary components must exist and be continuous.

3. What is the difference between a holomorphic function and an analytic function?

A holomorphic function is a complex-valued function that is differentiable at every point within its domain, while an analytic function is a function that can be represented by a convergent power series. All analytic functions are holomorphic, but not all holomorphic functions are analytic.

4. What are the applications of holomorphic functions in science?

Holomorphic functions are used in many areas of science, including engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in complex analysis, which has applications in fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism.

5. Can a holomorphic function have singularities?

Yes, a holomorphic function can have singularities, but they must be isolated and cannot be essential singularities. A singularity is a point where the function is not defined or becomes infinite. Common types of singularities in holomorphic functions include removable singularities and poles.