1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question regarding holomorphic functions

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a complex valued function [tex]f(z) = 1/z^2+1[/tex] show the area for which its holomorphic?

2. Relevant equations

I know that if [tex]f:\Omega \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/tex] and [tex]z_0 \in \Omega[/tex]

then [tex]f'(z_0) = \lim_{z \rightarrow z_0} \frac{f(z)-f(z_0)}{z-z_0}[/tex]

if the limit exists then f is holomorphic at the point [tex]z_0[/tex]....

3. The attempt at a solution

To show the area for which f is holomorphic isn't this simply to check if the definition above can be applied to every [tex]z_0[/tex] of f?? Or am I missing something here?

where the two possiblites for [tex]z_0 = \pm i[/tex] or is it simply that f is holomorphic on the area [tex]\Omega - \{\pm i\}[/tex] ??

Best Regards
    Susanne

Last edited: May 2, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, is that [tex](1/z^2)+ 1= \frac{1}{z^2}+ 1[/tex] or [tex]1/(z^2+ 1)= \frac{1}{z^2+ 1}[/itex]?

The first is not defined at z= 0 and the second is not defined at z= i or z= -i.

4. May 2, 2010 #3
    HallsofIvy its suppose to to be

[tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{z^2+1}[/tex]

Isn't the point being here that the holomorphic definition can be applied to every point in [tex]\Omega[/tex] except [tex]\pm i[/tex] ??

5. May 2, 2010 #4
    By that I mean that according to the definition of holomorph then a function can only be called holomorphic iff its complex differentiable in all points...

But since [tex]f'(z_0 = \pm i)[/tex] doesn't exist then as I understand the definition of Holomorphic functions that f is holomorphic [tex]\forall z_0 \in \mathbb{C} \setminus \{\pm i\}[/tex]

Because [tex](\frac{f}{g}^{\prime})(z_0) = 0[/tex] then [tex]z_0 = \pm i[/tex] and hence the definition of Holomorphic doesn't apply then [tex]z_0 = \pm i[/tex]. Then the area for which f is holomorphic is [tex]\forall z_0 \in \mathbb{C} \setminus \{\pm i\}[/tex].. As I see it...

where [tex]\Omega(z_0,r)[/tex] where r>0 with the exception above is the area for which f is holomorphic...

How is that Hallsoftivy??

Last edited: May 2, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook