Questioning future plans & low grades this semester

In summary: If you are still considering going to college, it is important to talk to an advisor about what might happen in the event that you are not accepted to a medical school. However, if you have already decided to go to medical school, then you should focus on doing well in your classes and preparing for the medical school application process. However, if you are still considering going to college, it is important to talk to an advisor about what might happen in the event that you are not accepted to a medical school. However, if you have already decided to go to medical school, then you should focus on doing well in your classes and preparing for the medical school application process.
Astro Student
Hello Physics Forums members,

I've had a somewhat rough semester. My sister had a lot of medical issues pop up and I wasn't able to pay enough attention to my classes as I'd have liked. I'm actually pre-med, and was enrolled in organic chemistry. Flatly, the current best-case scenario for 6-credit hours of ochem is a C+. I'm feeling extremely frustrated with myself and questioning my future plans. I don't want to retake this class if I don't have to. I'm also not used to doing bad in school -- I was valedictorian in high school and had a 3.9 up until now. I'm just feeling very lost, and don't know if I can even continue with pre-med.

I guess I don't know what I'm really asking for. The modes of thinking that they employ in biochemistry courses just don't mesh well with my mind set. I much prefer physics, stats, and math, subjects that I've always been rather advanced with. My parents have always pressured me to go into medicine and I was adamantly against it until my senior year of high school. I'm somewhat panicked here now that I see it may not happen. Pre-med culture and sub 5% acceptance rates at nearly every respectable med school is driving me to a very unhealthy, neurotic mental state. I am not sure if I want to commit to physics for the rest of my life, either. I suppose I would just like some general advice and discussion.

Anyways, on the bright side, I did get As in my physics and astrophysics classes this semester... So hopefully my low o-chem grade doesn't make too large of a hit to my GPA.

I look forward to reading the responses,
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You easily have much hope. Counting on medical school is not the best gamble. A good possible goal but not so good as your only accepted focus.
Change direction into either some physical science, engineering, or computer science. Earn a degree in SOMETHING. "Pre-Medical" is not a real major field. It is a collection of common courses which are a possible qualification for entrance eligibility to medical school. An undergraduate degree in ANYTHING is also necessary. In case you later are either not accepted to a medical school, or change your mind about med school, at least you will have a degree in something (hopefully that you also like).

symbolipoint said:
You easily have much hope. Counting on medical school is not the best gamble. A good possible goal but not so good as your only accepted focus.
Change direction into either some physical science, engineering, or computer science. Earn a degree in SOMETHING. "Pre-Medical" is not a real major field. It is a collection of common courses which are a possible qualification for entrance eligibility to medical school. An undergraduate degree in ANYTHING is also necessary. In case you later are either not accepted to a medical school, or change your mind about med school, at least you will have a degree in something (hopefully that you also like).
Thanks for your reply. I am hoping to get a B.S. in physics and astrophysics. I suppose, simply put, that I am at a crossroads between continuing onto physics grad school, medical school, or perhaps a mixture of the two (biophysics/bioinformatics).

once you break a certain gpa, small differences won't matter. If you do well on all your future classes, then that 2.7 class will most likely not matter that much.

College and graduate admissions understand that mistakes happen and circumstances arise.

What could be the reason for my low grades this semester?

There could be a variety of reasons for low grades in a semester. It could be due to personal issues, lack of understanding of the material, not attending classes regularly, or poor time management.

How can I improve my grades for the rest of the semester?

The first step to improving grades is to identify the root cause of the problem. Once you know the reason for your low grades, you can take steps to address it. This could include seeking help from a tutor or professor, creating a study schedule, or seeking academic counseling.

Will my low grades affect my future plans?

It depends on your future plans and the severity of your low grades. If you are planning on pursuing further education, such as graduate school, your grades may have a bigger impact. However, if you are planning on entering the workforce, employers may also consider other factors such as experience and skills.

Is it too late to improve my grades for this semester?

No, it is never too late to improve your grades. With determination and hard work, you can always turn your grades around. It is important to communicate with your professors and seek help as soon as possible to make the most of the remaining time in the semester.

How can I balance my future plans with my academic performance?

Balancing future plans with academic performance can be challenging. It is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. This could include setting aside specific times for studying, seeking help when needed, and finding a healthy balance between academics and other aspects of your life.