1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about a problem in AM

1. Jan 29, 2014 #1
    Hi.
    I may post a few questions here and there in the upcoming days in this thread (all related to AM). I begin with the first one:

eb375f937c0709b9eee8f08dca88323e.png

and its solution:

http://www.israup.net/images/633efdf02562124d723708218182a185.png

Relevant equations

I have a two questions, both related to understanding the core of the AM process here:

1. What exactly is the peak envelope power? If it equals 32 kW, then why do I need to square the whole (2Ac) term? If Am=Ac (equal amplitudes of both message signal and carrier signal), then why do I need that square operation? I feel like that's a purely basic understanding I lack to completely understand what's going on here.

2. Sx=1/2
    Sx is supposed to be the average power of the message signal. Assuming only the amplitude of the carrier signal is known now (i.e Am=Ac=8kW) - How it's possible to calculate that 1/2 value?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Power goes as the square of amplitude.
    You can't write " ... i.e Am=Ac=8kW ... "

Amplitude is V/m, power is E*H = poynting vector magnitude = (V^2)/Z with Z = 377 ohms for a plane wave in vacuo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted