Questions about motors (practical tests)

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Xaras
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motors
In summary, the conversation discusses practical questions about testing motors, specifically synchronous and induction motors. The problem statement is about what to do with the other phases during a stator winding phase test and which type of testing (DC or AC) is more dangerous to the winding. The individuals also discuss safety procedures for working with high voltage and suggest using suitable equipment and short circuiting devices to discharge accumulated electricity.
Xaras
Homework Statement
Questions about motors (practical tests)
Relevant Equations
synchronous/induction motors
Problem Statement: Questions about motors (practical tests)
Relevant Equations: synchronous/induction motors

Hey guys,

Some practical questions about motors :)

Let's admit I have to test one stator winding phase (in high voltage, we test one at the time). During this test what do you do with the others phase ? We let them open right ?

I have to test a 3 phase machine by applying 12kV DC and AC for 10min.

The more dangerous test to the winding is the DC right ? I don't remember why ...

When you finish these tests you remove the test leads. What is the most dangerous for the operator ? Is it to open leads after AC or DC testing ?

I think to open leads after AC testing is the more dangerous.

I have also to suggest some security procedures to make it the safer. I don't have any idea for this ... I think maybe to put thick cables for the safety ground right ?

Thaksfor the help !

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody has an idea ? :)

According to EPRI Power Plant Electrical Reference Series Vol. 6 chapter 6.8. Winding Insulation. Insulation Testing:

That means you have to apply the voltage on all stator windings simultaneously.

Xaras said:I have also to suggest some security procedures to make it the safer
First you have to be a licensed electrician authorized to work on high voltage installations.
Second, you have to use suitable equipment [against arc flash, electrical shock protection and other] The stator windings presents a certain capacity and you have to discharge the accumulated electricity by using short circuiting devises

Sorry: using short circuiting devices

1. How do you test the efficiency of a motor?

The efficiency of a motor can be tested by measuring the input power and output power. The input power can be measured using a wattmeter and the output power can be measured using a dynamometer. The efficiency can then be calculated by dividing the output power by the input power and multiplying by 100%.

2. What is the best way to determine the maximum load a motor can handle?

The maximum load a motor can handle can be determined by conducting a stall test. This involves gradually increasing the load on the motor until it stops rotating. The maximum load at which the motor stalls is its maximum load capacity.

3. How do you test the speed of a motor?

The speed of a motor can be tested using a tachometer. This device measures the rotational speed of the motor's output shaft. The speed can also be calculated by dividing the frequency of the motor's power supply by the number of poles in the motor.

4. What is the best method for testing the torque of a motor?

The torque of a motor can be tested using a torque wrench or a dynamometer. The motor is connected to the device and the torque is measured as the motor rotates. The maximum torque that the motor can produce is its rated torque.

5. How do you determine the power rating of a motor?

The power rating of a motor can be determined by multiplying its rated torque by its rated speed. This will give the maximum power output of the motor. It is important to also consider the efficiency of the motor when determining its power rating.