Questions about bjt amplifier circuit

In summary: Then you can try to understand the output ripple.ummmIn summary, the emitter is common to both the input and output, and the equivalent resistance at the output is determined by the parallel connections of RL and RC.
green-fresh
hi all i have some questions about a commen emmiter bjt amplifier circuit .
if i had this circuit :
attachment.php?attachmentid=36036&stc=1&d=1306749925.jpg

and i want to find the ripple of voltage in outout :
i will use this equation :
[tex]V_{O(p-p)}=2I_{CQ} (R_L || R_C)[/tex]

but why i put[tex] R_L || R_C[/tex] not [tex] R_L || R_C + R_E[/tex] or how i conclude that this is the equivalent resistance at output .
is this connected with thevnin equivalent circuit at output if so !how.
and is it right that i can here in this problem put one power source (10v) without any change on answers.
thanks .

p.s: this isn't a homwork.

Attachments

• pic91.jpg
    pic91.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,208
Engineering news on Phys.org
ummm

that's not what I would consider a common emitter configuration.
common emitter ( base or collector) usually infers that that "leg" E, B or C is connected to 0V, either directly or via a resistor
Your cct isn't showing either of those 2 usual configurations, rather its working off a split supply + and - 5V

be interesting to see what more learned people say :)

Dave

The input is the base, the output is the collector. What else could it be other than a common emitter? RL is in parallel with RC as far as and AC signal is concerned.

davenn said:
ummm

that's not what I would consider a common emitter configuration.
common emitter ( base or collector) usually infers that that "leg" E, B or C is connected to 0V, either directly or via a resistor
Your cct isn't showing either of those 2 usual configurations, rather its working off a split supply + and - 5V

be interesting to see what more learned people say :)

Dave

They call it common emitter because the emitter is common to both the input and output, that doesn't imply that the emitter must sit at ground.

Likes cabraham
green-fresh said:

By that do you mean the small signal(AC) component of the output?

but why i put
RL||RC
not
RL||RC+RE
or how i conclude that this is the equivalent resistance at output .

You should really draw the small signal model of this amplifier and show us what you come up with, if you're doing that wrong this may the source of your confusion. On the other hand, if you're not drawing the small signal model that may be the source of your confusion.

After doing so it should be obvious that,

[tex]R_{out} = R_{c}//R_{L}[/tex]

jegues said:
They call it common emitter because the emitter is common to both the input and output, that doesn't imply that the emitter must sit at ground.

ahhhhh ok, appreciate that, we live and learn. I guess my misunderstanding comes from always seeing common E, B or C when one of them is tied to GND (0V) in either of the 2 manners I commented on.
The emitter tied to a V rail threw me a curve ball

thanks jegues and averagesupernova

Dave

jegues said:
By that do you mean the small signal(AC) component of the output?
yes this is what i mean.
jegues said:
You should really draw the small signal model of this amplifier and show us what you come up with, if you're doing that wrong this may the source of your confusion. On the other hand, if you're not drawing the small signal model that may be the source of your confusion.

After doing so it should be obvious that,

[tex]R_{out} = R_{c}//R_{L}[/tex]

yea exactly this is what i must do and like what i asked:
green-fresh said:
is this connected with thevnin equivalent circuit at output
i find after googling about small signal model that i must at AC consider every capacitor as "short circuit" and also the power source so[tex] R_L[/tex] and[tex] R_C[/tex] have two commen point (one at C and one at GRD)so

[tex]R_{out} = R_{c}//R_{L}[/tex].
confusion solved thanks very much:
davenn,jegues,Averagesupernova

green-fresh said:
i will use this equation :
[tex]V_{O(p-p)}=2I_{CQ} (R_L || R_C)[/tex]

BTW. That is neither the output ripple nor is it the small signal output. It is an approximation to the maximum possible peak to peak output voltage assuming a mid point bias. That comes from a large signal analysis. Start by trying to understand the small signal analysis and basic bias point calculations first.

1. What is a BJT amplifier circuit?

A BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) amplifier circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses bipolar junction transistors as the main amplifying component. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as audio amplifiers, radio frequency amplifiers, and other signal amplification applications.

2. How does a BJT amplifier circuit work?

A BJT amplifier circuit works by using the input signal to control the current flow through the transistor. This current flow then amplifies the input signal to a larger output signal. The amount of amplification is determined by the configuration of the circuit and the properties of the transistor.

3. What are the different types of BJT amplifier circuits?

The most common types of BJT amplifier circuits are common emitter, common base, and common collector configurations. Other types include emitter follower, Darlington pair, and cascode amplifier circuits.

4. What are the advantages of using a BJT amplifier circuit?

Some advantages of using a BJT amplifier circuit include high gain, low noise, and the ability to amplify a wide range of frequencies. They also have a fast response time and are relatively inexpensive and easy to manufacture.

5. What are the limitations of a BJT amplifier circuit?

Some limitations of a BJT amplifier circuit include the need for precise biasing and the potential for thermal runaway, which can cause the circuit to overheat. They also have a limited frequency range and may require additional components for stabilization and protection against voltage variations.