Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about electromagnetic forces.

1. Jun 2, 2008 #1
    Hi all,

I want to start off by saying that I am not too good with physics, so while explaining, if terms could be kept simple I would really appreciate it. :)

Here are my questions:

Can an electromagnet repel a permanent magnet with any significant amount of force? My target is around 175psi of force. Can this be done using magnets?

Furthermore, I need to move the permanent magnet 3". Is this possible?

Also, is there a limit to how quickly an electromagnet can be pulsed? I need things to be instant like a light switch.

I hope I asked my questions in a clear manner, but if anything isn't understood, feel free to ask for clarification.

Thanks a ton :)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2008 #2
    Sounds very clear. The only limit to the repulsive force is the size of the magnetics / how much current you can provide to the electromagnet (there are also material issues, like the electromagnet melting... but you prolly won't have to worry about that).
    175psi is alot of force, so it would take alot of power.. but its doable. As is 3".

It couldn't be "instant," but it would be very fast.. like hundredths of a second or less.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?