1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about grad school

1. Aug 10, 2008 #1
    Ok, I know there has probably been a vast number of posts exactly like this one, but...

I'm a senior undergrad at a california state university and will be applying to grad school this semester. Preferably I want to get into a PhD program in computational biophysics, specifically I'm interested in computational studies of protein/enzyme structure and dynamics (like folding and signaling). I have a 3.73 overall gpa and a 4.0 in physics, and I've also done 3 research programs (in microbiology, mathematical biology and chemical physics). Though I've presented posters at 3 conferences, I've no publications (yet). Also, I haven't taken GRE's yet, but don't plan to do exceptionally well. I also have ALOT of programming experience (C, C++, Fortran, perl, charmm, namd/vmd, mathematica, matlab).

My first question is, as an applied math major (physics minor) will Ph D programs be hesitant to accept me? I'm not expecting to get into MIT or harvard, but somewhere?

Second, would I be better off applying to physics departments who have faculty doing research in biophysics (recommendations?) or to biophysics departments (there aren't many)?

Thanks for your input/suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2008 #2
    I know a phd student in biophysics in a relatively well known school, soon to graduate (less than a month), who received a bachelor of arts (yes arts, not science) in math from a state university. He's a bright guy and took many physics courses along with his BA. It's definately possible, find a department, meet the people and get that human thing going (getting to know them, they meet you and make that mental judgement 'yeah, we can abuse that person') etc. He met his advisor at a talk and started things that way. Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?