Should I Apply to Physics or Biophysics PhD Programs as an Applied Math Major?

In summary, a senior undergraduate student with a 3.73 GPA in overall and a 4.0 GPA in physics is planning to apply for a PhD program in computational biophysics. They have 3 research experiences and programming skills in various languages. They have concerns about their major in applied math and whether it will affect their chances of being accepted into a PhD program. They are also unsure whether to apply to physics departments or biophysics departments for their PhD. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to network and make connections with potential advisors to increase their chances of getting accepted.
strangequark
Ok, I know there has probably been a vast number of posts exactly like this one, but...

I'm a senior undergrad at a california state university and will be applying to grad school this semester. Preferably I want to get into a PhD program in computational biophysics, specifically I'm interested in computational studies of protein/enzyme structure and dynamics (like folding and signaling). I have a 3.73 overall gpa and a 4.0 in physics, and I've also done 3 research programs (in microbiology, mathematical biology and chemical physics). Though I've presented posters at 3 conferences, I've no publications (yet). Also, I haven't taken GRE's yet, but don't plan to do exceptionally well. I also have ALOT of programming experience (C, C++, Fortran, perl, charmm, namd/vmd, mathematica, matlab).

My first question is, as an applied math major (physics minor) will Ph D programs be hesitant to accept me? I'm not expecting to get into MIT or harvard, but somewhere?

Second, would I be better off applying to physics departments who have faculty doing research in biophysics (recommendations?) or to biophysics departments (there aren't many)?

Thanks for your input/suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know a phd student in biophysics in a relatively well known school, soon to graduate (less than a month), who received a bachelor of arts (yes arts, not science) in math from a state university. He's a bright guy and took many physics courses along with his BA. It's definitely possible, find a department, meet the people and get that human thing going (getting to know them, they meet you and make that mental judgement 'yeah, we can abuse that person') etc. He met his advisor at a talk and started things that way. Good luck.

I would like to offer some advice and suggestions for your questions about grad school. First of all, your GPA and research experience are very impressive and will definitely be taken into consideration by graduate programs. However, it is important to keep in mind that admission to a PhD program is highly competitive and there are many factors that are considered, such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, and GRE scores. While having a lower GRE score may not automatically disqualify you, it is still important to strive for a competitive score to strengthen your application.

To address your first question about being an applied math major and your chances of being accepted into a PhD program, it really depends on the specific program and their requirements. Some programs may prefer applicants with a background in biology or biophysics, while others may value your strong math and programming skills. It would be helpful to research the specific programs you are interested in and see if they have any specific requirements or preferences.

In terms of applying to physics or biophysics departments, it may be beneficial to apply to both if you have a strong interest in both fields. However, it is important to carefully research the faculty and their research interests within each department to see where your research interests align best. You can also reach out to faculty members to discuss your research interests and see if they would be a good fit for you.

Overall, my advice would be to continue to excel in your coursework and research experiences, aim for a competitive GRE score, and carefully research the programs and departments you are interested in to find the best fit for your research interests. Best of luck in your graduate school journey!

What is the purpose of going to grad school?

The purpose of going to grad school is to further your education and gain specialized knowledge and skills in a specific field. It can also open up more career opportunities and potentially lead to a higher salary.

How do I choose the right grad school?

When choosing a grad school, it is important to consider factors such as the program offerings, location, cost, faculty, and reputation. It is also helpful to visit the campus and talk to current students and alumni to get a better sense of the program and school culture.

What are the requirements for getting into grad school?

The requirements for grad school vary depending on the program and school, but typically include a bachelor's degree, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some programs may also require relevant work experience or a portfolio.

Is it necessary to have research experience before applying to grad school?

Having research experience can be beneficial for some grad school programs, but it is not always necessary. It ultimately depends on the program and your career goals. Some programs may place more emphasis on research experience, while others may value work experience or other skills.

How can I pay for grad school?

There are several options for paying for grad school, including scholarships, grants, loans, and assistantships. It is important to research and apply for as many funding opportunities as possible to help offset the cost of tuition and living expenses. Many schools also offer financial aid and payment plans to help students manage the cost of grad school.