Questions about lights contradicting properties

In summary, photons do not possess mass, but they do possess energy, and as they gain energy they can reach a speed of c.
Pyro Ninja
Hi there, I've got a few questions about light that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1. If the properties of energy and mass are interchangeable, then if some particle or wave possesses charge or energy then it must also have mass. Whether a photon is acting as a particle or a wave it still posseses energy, thus mass, and so should not be able to attain a speed of c. I have read an answer to a similar question where the answer stated that possesing mass is not a prequisite to physical existence, but I disagree with that statement, for to exist, a force must possesses a physical pressence in the form of an energy in order to cause an affect upon other matter.
How can you explain this contradiction of light's properties?
Could it be that the size/mass and properties of the photon are at an exact, compramising point and state required for matter and the speed of c to be able to co exist as one?

2. What does it mean when an electron is said to move to a higher energy orbit? (Unfortunately I'm not a mathmatition, I'm good with processes, but I need answers in lamens terms). I've read, that, as the atom is energised, eg elctricity in a light bulb etc. the electron becomes temporarily energised, and so moves to a higher energy orbit. Now it can't sustain that orbit, and when it drops back to its preferable, lower energy orbit, that difference in energy is released in the form of a packet of energy; a photon.
What I want to know, is what is physically happening when the electron becomes energised and moves to a higher energy orbit?
How is the electron able to possesses more energy? for it can't move any faster as it is already aproaching the speed of c anyway. Does the Electron therefore possesses a greater charge and increase its size while it is said to move to a higher energy orbit?

Could it be possible, that as the electron becomes energised, it does infact move at an increased speed, which would cause it to move at, or faster than the speed of c. Perhaps in order to prevent this 'breaking of the rules' The paradox created by it achieving what it should be un able to, is what creates the photon, in order to reset the energys and speeds back down to what they should be. This last point is meerly the entertaining of a fancy of mine. Although there is logic behind this fancy, my post is already too long, and adding this reasoning right now would make it a bit too sizeable.

Science news on Phys.org
Pyro Ninja said:
Whether a photon is acting as a particle or a wave it still posseses energy, thus mass, and so should not be able to attain a speed of c.
Objects with rest mass cannot reach c. The dynamic mass you mean is just a different word for energy.
Pyro Ninja said:
How is the electron able to possesses more energy?
Potential energy is greater for higher orbits.

A.T. said:
Objects with rest mass cannot reach c.

How can an object have an energy/mass due to its kinetic energy/acceleration, but not when it is at rest? This makes no sense to me, for if an object exists in physical actuallity, then it must have substance, for if it didn't then it would have no prescence, and thus could not be detected. And if it has substance, even if you refer to it as a 'packet of energy' or what ever, it must have mass or it cannot exist.

A.T. said:
Potential energy is greater for higher orbits.

Unfortunately this quote answers nothing. It meerly states common knowledge.
How is the 'energised electron' able to hold more energy? When it is already approaching the speed of c and so cannot gain any kinetic energy. Does it increase its charge and size? If so, how does it do this? What physically takes place?
If anyone can give me a more substantial answer, I would really appreciate it, thanks

Last edited:
Please review the forum guidelines regarding personal theories: they aren't allowed here.

You're wasting your time, anyway, trying to come up with your own theory - most of what you said there is just misunderstandings of what is already known. You'd be much better off buying a used textbook and learning the real science of the issue rather than just idly speculating about it.

Thread locked.

1. What are the two properties of light that seem to contradict each other?

The two properties of light that seem to contradict each other are its wave-like behavior and its particle-like behavior.

2. How is light both a wave and a particle?

Light exhibits behaviors of both a wave and a particle depending on the experimental setup and the observation method. This phenomenon is known as wave-particle duality.

3. Can light behave as a wave and a particle at the same time?

No, light cannot behave as both a wave and a particle at the same time. It can only exhibit one behavior at a time depending on the experimental conditions.

4. What are some examples of light behaving as a wave?

Some examples of light behaving as a wave are interference, diffraction, and polarization.

5. What are some examples of light behaving as a particle?

Some examples of light behaving as a particle are the photoelectric effect, Compton scattering, and the observation of discrete energy levels in the emission and absorption spectra of atoms.