Questions about real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum

In summary, the statements (a) and (c) are not true. While it is true that every real-valued measurable cardinal is either measurable or has a cardinality less than or equal to the power of the continuum, this does not imply that the power of the continuum is always real-valued measurable. Additionally, the existence of a measurable cardinal does not necessarily imply the falsity of the continuum hypothesis. Therefore, the statement (d) is not necessarily true and does not accurately represent the relationship between these statements.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Putting the following three statements together:

(a) Assuming that the continuum hypothesis is false, the power of the continuum 2[itex]\aleph0[/itex] is real-valued measurable.

(b) The existence of a real-valued measurable and the existence of a measurable (= real-valued measurable & inaccessible) cardinal are equiconsistent.

(c) If there exists a measurable cardinal, the continuum hypothesis is false.

it sounds like this would imply the following absurd statement:

(d) Assuming that the continuum hypothesis is false, the existence of 2[itex]\aleph0[/itex] and the existence of a measurable cardinal are equiconsistent.

What is wrong? Is (a) incorrect, or am I putting these together wrong? If (a) is incorrect, is there a clear example to show why?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't believe that ##(a)## is true. It is true that every real-valued measurable cardinal ##\kappa## is either measurable or ##\kappa\leq 2^{\aleph_0}##.

But this does not imply that ##2^{\aleph_0}## is always real-valued measurable, even if CH is false. Indeed, it is perfectly possible that ##2^{\aleph_0} = \aleph_2## and this cannot be real-valued measurable since it is not weakly inaccessible (since it is not a limit cardinal).

As for (c), didn't you mean to say real-valued measurable. I don't think the existence of a measurable cardinal itself violates CH.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, micromass. Very informative answer. So, as you say, (a) is not true. As for (c) I was thinking of the violation of V=L, not the CH. Oops. So (c) is also not true. Also it would not have been true if I had put in "real valued measurable" where I put "measurable": at most I could have said that if the power of the continuum were real valued measurable, then CH would be false.

What are real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum?

Real-valued measurable cardinals are large cardinal numbers that have the property of being measurable with respect to a certain type of measure called a "real-valued measure." The continuum, also known as the cardinality of the real numbers, is the size or number of real numbers in the set of all real numbers.

Why are real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum important in mathematics?

Real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum are important in mathematics because they have implications for the foundations of mathematics and the study of infinity. They also have applications in areas such as set theory, topology, and analysis.

How are real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum related?

Real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum are related because the existence of a real-valued measurable cardinal implies the consistency of the continuum hypothesis (CH), which states that there is no set with cardinality strictly between that of the integers and the real numbers. In other words, if there is a real-valued measurable cardinal, then CH cannot be proven to be either true or false within the standard axioms of set theory.

Can real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum be proven to exist?

The existence of real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum cannot be proven within the standard axioms of set theory. However, their existence can be assumed as an axiom, known as the existence of large cardinals, and this assumption has been shown to be consistent with the other axioms of set theory.

What is the current research on real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum?

The current research on real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum focuses on their properties and implications in different areas of mathematics. There is also ongoing research on the consistency and independence of the existence of real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum from the standard axioms of set theory.