Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about real-valued measurable cardinals and the continuum

1. Jun 20, 2014 #1
    Putting the following three statements together:

(a) Assuming that the continuum hypothesis is false, the power of the continuum 2[itex]\aleph0[/itex] is real-valued measurable.

(b) The existence of a real-valued measurable and the existence of a measurable (= real-valued measurable & inaccessible) cardinal are equiconsistent.

(c) If there exists a measurable cardinal, the continuum hypothesis is false.

it sounds like this would imply the following absurd statement:

(d) Assuming that the continuum hypothesis is false, the existence of 2[itex]\aleph0[/itex] and the existence of a measurable cardinal are equiconsistent.

What is wrong? Is (a) incorrect, or am I putting these together wrong? If (a) is incorrect, is there a clear example to show why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't believe that ##(a)## is true. It is true that every real-valued measurable cardinal ##\kappa## is either measurable or ##\kappa\leq 2^{\aleph_0}##.

But this does not imply that ##2^{\aleph_0}## is always real-valued measurable, even if CH is false. Indeed, it is perfectly possible that ##2^{\aleph_0} = \aleph_2## and this cannot be real-valued measurable since it is not weakly inaccessible (since it is not a limit cardinal).

As for (c), didn't you mean to say real-valued measurable. I don't think the existence of a measurable cardinal itself violates CH.

4. Jun 20, 2014 #3
    Thanks, micromass. Very informative answer. So, as you say, (a) is not true. As for (c) I was thinking of the violation of V=L, not the CH. Oops. So (c) is also not true. Also it would not have been true if I had put in "real valued measurable" where I put "measurable": at most I could have said that if the power of the continuum were real valued measurable, then CH would be false.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook