Questions about the titanic ship

In summary, the conversation discusses researching the composition of steel and its effects on properties, methods for analyzing metal materials at shipwrecks, and the acceleration of corrosion by sulfur reducing bacteria. The individual also expresses difficulty in finding information and receives a recommendation to visit a library. The conversation ends with a question about the materials used to build the hull of the Titanic, with a response stating that it is primarily made of steel with some iron and wrought iron components. The steel used in the Titanic was of good quality, contrary to popular belief.
decibel
1) use a variety of resources to research the compostion of steel and explain how the compostion of steel affects its proprties, such as its strength and resistance to corrosion. Record this information in chart

2) reseach and explain the chemical methods available to analyze metal materials found at shipwrechs

3) at very great depth, wrecks corrode due to the action of anaerobic bacteria. Do reseach to explain why these sulfur reducing bacteria accelerate corrosion of some metals

i honestly have spent about 1 hour and a half searching yahoo and google for this information and found so little...i really need help, either from knowledge u guys know, or sites...i got to get some info fast to finish this activity for school which is worth 15% of my final mark, any help would be greatly appreicated, thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Only an hour and a half? I would expect something like this to run to 10-12 hours of work. Any way, I recommend you go to a library and use the reference section to research properties of metals- CRC tables ought to have this information.

one hour and a half of just searching for INFORMATION, and not even doing the actual thing , and now its up to 3 hours, and i can't find any good information, going to go take a look at the library

This is K-12 level??

yes this is 12

anyway I am done every question except

4) find out about the materials used to build the hull of the Titanic. Create list with a brief description of each material

i don't understand what this is asking, isent it steel?
i don't get it

Steel. The last iron-hulled ship was Germanic, launched in 1874. Asiatic I, launched in 1881, was the first steel-hulled White Star ship.
It was the rivets that were made from wrought iron, a combination of iron and a material called slag. There is a documentary called "Titanic, Answers from the abyss." This docu delves into the materials used in the construction of the Titanic. Materials scientists Tim Foecke and Tim Weihs test various rivets brought up from the wreck and they have found that most of the rivets tested contained too much slag and therefore making the rivet weak/brittle. However, the steel sample tested from the "big piece" was not too dissimilar to the steel that we can produce today, according to the experts the steel used on Titanic was of a good quality and not brittle as many had thought.

The hull of the Titanic is made up of steel, iron and wrought iron. definations of these can be found easily SOMEWHERE.

What caused the sinking of the Titanic?

The sinking of the Titanic was caused by a collision with an iceberg on the night of April 14, 1912. The impact created a series of holes along the side of the ship, causing it to flood and ultimately sink.

How many people died on the Titanic?

The exact number of deaths on the Titanic is uncertain, but it is estimated that around 1,500 people lost their lives in the disaster. This includes passengers and crew members.

What happened to the survivors of the Titanic?

After the Titanic sank, the survivors were rescued by nearby ships and taken to New York City. They were met by family members and the media, and many of them went on to share their stories and experiences of the sinking.

Why were there not enough lifeboats on the Titanic?

The Titanic was designed to have enough lifeboats for all of its passengers and crew, but it was only equipped with 20 lifeboats, which could hold a total of 1,178 people. This was because the ship was considered unsinkable and therefore did not need as many lifeboats.

What lessons were learned from the sinking of the Titanic?

The sinking of the Titanic led to significant changes in maritime safety regulations. These included having enough lifeboats for all passengers, conducting safety drills, and maintaining a 24-hour radio watch. Additionally, it highlighted the importance of properly implementing and adhering to safety protocols on ships.