Questions involving a set under the usual real metric

• Thread starter GridironCPJ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metric Set
In summary, the metric space S={1/k : k=1, 2, 3, ...} with the usual real metric has all points isolated and therefore every singleton is open and closed. The only sets that are open and closed are the intersection of open balls in the reals with S. No sets in S have a nonempty boundary and the only set that is dense in S is S itself.
GridironCPJ

Homework Statement

Let S={1/k : k=1, 2, 3, ...} and furnish S with the usual real metric. Answer the following questions about this metric space:

(a) Which points are isolated in S?

(b) Which sets are open and closed in S?

(c) Which sets have a nonempty boundary?

(d) Which sets are dense in S?

(e) Which sets are nowhere dense in S?

Homework Equations

Use any variations of the definitions of the terms involved, no restrictions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to show (a). I just took an open ball around each point 1/k in S s.t. the radius of each ball is 1/2k, so each of these balls contains only the point they center. Thus, all points of S are isolated. If you see a problem with this, please let me know.

For the rest, I'm confusing myself. Sets in S can only contain the points 1/k for k=1, 2, 3, ..., so no set can be open, right? If I take an open ball centered at a 1/k, then I cannot find an open ball inside of that open ball s.t. the smaller open ball is contained in S. However, none of these open balls are even sets in S since they have infinitely many points not in S, and S is our metric space, so..? It's amazing how elementary set theory can be so mind-twisting at times. I would appreciate help on as many of these as possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are off to a good start in finding that all points are isolated. You found that every point in S is itself an open set, right? This is an example of a discrete topological space. The sets in S that are open are the intersection of open balls in the reals with S.

Dick said:
You are off to a good start in finding that all points are isolated. You found that every point in S is itself an open set, right? This is an example of a discrete topological space. The sets in S that are open are the intersection of open balls in the reals with S.

I havn't convinced myself that every point in S is an open set. My textbook has a definition for open sets as the following:

A set G in S is is called open if for each x in G, there is an r>0 s.t. B(x, r) is in G.

This is clearly not the case for single points of S, as any open ball is not contained in the corresponding subset, which is just a point of S.

But isn't B(1/k,1/[k(k+1)])={1/k}. Since:
1/k-1/(k+1)=(k+1-k)/[k(k+1)]
Aren't we in what's called a (topological) subspace? What's the definition of ball there?

algebrat said:
But isn't B(1/k,1/[k(k+1)])={1/k}.

Since:
1/k-1/(k+1)=(k+1-k)/[k(k+1)]

Aren't we in what's called a (topological) subspace? What's the definition of ball there?

A ball is under the regular metric of the reals. If each singleton is open, wouldn't that make them all closed as well since the complement of each singleton is just an arbitrary union of open sets?

I'm convinced that no set in this space is dense by the way, unless anyone would like to correct me if I'm wrong.

GridironCPJ said:
A ball is under the regular metric of the reals.
[STRIKE]Are we to treat S as a subspace with it's own topology? Is your books definition of ball for subspaces, or just R^n?[/STRIKE]

What does "furnish" mean at top. What is a ball in this "furnishing"? Is the ball I found above work with the books definitions? Ignore my question if it's resolved, I might be beating a dead horse.

If each singleton is open, wouldn't that make them all closed as well since the complement of each singleton is just an arbitrary union of open sets?
I agree.
I'm convinced that no set in this space is dense by the way, unless anyone would like to correct me if I'm wrong.
My first guess is you are right. Not obvious to me how to prove it though, looks like fun.

algebrat said:
[STRIKE]Are we to treat S as a subspace with it's own topology? Is your books definition of ball for subspaces, or just R^n?[/STRIKE]

What does "furnish" mean at top. What is a ball in this "furnishing"? Is the ball I found above work with the books definitions? Ignore my question if it's resolved, I might be beating a dead horse.

I agree.

My first guess is you are right. Not obvious to me how to prove it though, looks like fun.

I think it just means that the space has that specific metric. The balls are the same as they are in the reals under the usual metric.

GridironCPJ said:
A ball is under the regular metric of the reals. If each singleton is open, wouldn't that make them all closed as well since the complement of each singleton is just an arbitrary union of open sets?

That's right. Every singleton is open and closed. And, yes, the only set that is dense in S is S itself. Can you prove it?

1. What is a set under the usual real metric?

A set under the usual real metric is a collection of real numbers that is defined using the standard metric on the real number line. This metric measures the distance between two points on the real number line using the absolute value function. In other words, the set under the usual real metric consists of all possible numbers that can be reached by starting at a given number and moving a specified distance in either direction along the real number line.

2. How is the usual real metric different from other metrics?

The usual real metric is the most commonly used metric on the real number line. Other metrics may measure distance differently, such as the discrete metric which only considers the distance between two points to be 0 or 1. The usual real metric is also unique in that it satisfies all of the properties of a metric, such as the triangle inequality and the fact that the distance between two distinct points is always positive.

3. What are some examples of sets under the usual real metric?

Some examples of sets under the usual real metric include the set of all integers, the set of all rational numbers, and the set of all irrational numbers. These sets can be thought of as points on the real number line that are separated by a certain distance, as measured by the usual real metric.

4. How is the usual real metric used in mathematical analysis?

The usual real metric is a fundamental tool in mathematical analysis, as it allows for the precise definition of concepts such as convergence, continuity, and differentiability. It is also used to define important mathematical structures such as metric spaces and topological spaces, which are essential in many areas of mathematics and science.

5. Can the usual real metric be extended to other spaces?

Yes, the usual real metric can be extended to other spaces, such as complex numbers, vectors, and functions. In these cases, the metric is defined using the same principles as on the real number line, but with different measures of distance. This allows for the application of concepts from mathematical analysis to these spaces, leading to a deeper understanding of their properties and behaviors.