Chaotic Dynamics: Using College Students as Entities for Chaos Experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of using the student population of a college department as a subject for studying chaotic dynamics in an undergraduate thesis. The suggestion is made to use a well known model and perform a bifurcation study to demonstrate analytical analysis and numerical computation skills. The use of software such as Mathematica is also mentioned.
butoyzki
i'm an undergraduate student decided to pursue a thesis on chaotic dynamics. would it be feasible to use the student population of my college department as an entity which will exhibit chaos? i need help, feel free to PM me or mail me: reysagana@gmail.com

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just use "a population" -- they have to be doing something!

Hence the field of population dynamics which generally uses toy-models which include changeable breeding and death rates to show the development of chaotic dynamics.

J77 said:
You can't just use "a population" -- they have to be doing something!

Hence the field of population dynamics which generally uses toy-models which include changeable breeding and death rates to show the development of chaotic dynamics.

how about the change in population of the students (e.g. the enrolment rate or the decrease/increase in enrolment)

would you suggest alternative subjects beside from the student population?

As it's an undergrad thesis, I'd advise you to take a well know model -- eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rössler_attractor -- and perform a bifurcation study; ie. with respect to showing you can do an analytical analysis, and write code to produce numerical bifurcation diagrams.

i have sent u a PM regarding my work.

p.s.

would i have to use mathematica or any other software for the conduct of research on population dynamics/dynamical models? i don't have one eh.

just PM me whenever you're online, ayt? thanks!

attached is a copy of my thesis proposal

Attachments

• Proposal.doc
    35 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
J77 said:
As it's an undergrad thesis, I'd advise you to take a well know model -- eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rössler_attractor -- and perform a bifurcation study; ie. with respect to showing you can do an analytical analysis, and write code to produce numerical bifurcation diagrams.

how do i do this?

butoyzki said:
how do i do this?
Well, the wiki link pretty much shows you how to linearize the equations and compute the eigenvalues which determine the stability of a steady state equilibrium.

For the numerics, look up some numerical integration schemes; such as, Euler or Runge-Kutta.

You could even do a survey of a number of nonlinear equations -- maps and flows -- and then use your code to compute numerical bifurcation diagrams.

FAQ: Chaotic Dynamics: Using College Students as Entities for Chaos Experiments

1. What is chaotic dynamics?

Chaotic dynamics is a branch of mathematics and physics that studies the behavior of dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions. These systems exhibit seemingly random behavior that is highly dependent on the starting conditions.

2. How is chaotic dynamics different from regular dynamics?

The main difference between chaotic dynamics and regular dynamics is the sensitivity to initial conditions. In regular dynamics, small changes in initial conditions result in small changes in the outcome. However, in chaotic dynamics, small changes in initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes.

3. What are some real-world examples of chaotic dynamics?

Some examples of chaotic dynamics in the real world include weather patterns, population dynamics, and stock market fluctuations. These systems are highly complex and sensitive to small changes, making their behavior unpredictable.

4. How is chaos theory related to chaotic dynamics?

Chaos theory is the broader concept that encompasses chaotic dynamics. It is a mathematical theory that studies the behavior of nonlinear dynamical systems, including chaotic systems. Chaotic dynamics is the specific study of chaotic systems and their properties.

5. What are some applications of chaotic dynamics?

Chaotic dynamics has many practical applications, including weather forecasting, prediction of stock market trends, and modeling biological systems. It can also be used in cryptography, data encryption, and image and signal processing. Additionally, chaotic dynamics has been applied in fields such as economics, engineering, and biology to better understand complex systems and phenomena.