1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions On Chaotic Dynamics

1. Sep 14, 2007 #1
    i'm an undergraduate student decided to pursue a thesis on chaotic dynamics. would it be feasible to use the student population of my college department as an entity which will exhibit chaos? i need help, feel free to PM me or mail me: reysagana@gmail.com

thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2007 #2

J77

You can't just use "a population" -- they have to be doing something!

Hence the field of population dynamics which generally uses toy-models which include changeable breeding and death rates to show the developement of chaotic dynamics.

4. Sep 14, 2007 #3
    how about the change in population of the students (e.g. the enrolment rate or the decrease/increase in enrolment)

would you suggest alternative subjects beside from the student population?

5. Sep 14, 2007 #4

J77

As it's an undergrad thesis, I'd advise you to take a well know model -- eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rössler_attractor -- and perform a bifurcation study; ie. with respect to showing you can do an analytical analysis, and write code to produce numerical bifurcation diagrams.

6. Sep 15, 2007 #5
    i have sent u a PM regarding my work.

p.s.

would i have to use mathematica or any other software for the conduct of research on population dynamics/dynamical models? i don't have one eh.

7. Sep 16, 2007 #6
    just PM me whenever you're online, ayt? thanks!

attached is a copy of my thesis proposal

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  8. Sep 16, 2007 #7
    how do i do this?

9. Sep 17, 2007 #8

J77

Well, the wiki link pretty much shows you how to linearize the equations and compute the eigenvalues which determine the stability of a steady state equilibrium.

For the numerics, look up some numerical integration schemes; such as, Euler or Runge-Kutta.

You could even do a survey of a number of nonlinear equations -- maps and flows -- and then use your code to compute numerical bifurcation diagrams.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?