Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions regarding basic electricity and unit conversion

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    I originally wanted to post this in the EE forum, but after seeing the sticky there, I decided that this might be a better place.

1. I got the whole thing about unit conversions (like from V to kV, move the decimal point 3 to the left -- the number becomes smaller by 10^3). Right now, we're at Classical Mechanics (motion, kinematics, static etc.) and I don't know how to convert composed units. Like how do I convert from m/s to km/h, or backwards from km/h to m/s. A step-by-step explanation would be most appreciated.

2. I took up Electricity on my own, kind of a hobby, and I started studying the text book. So far, just the first chapter, brushed up on some old concepts. There are a few things I don't quite get though. Energy (joules), power (watts). What they really mean, why P = E * I, and all of that. Could anyone shed some light on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2
    For 1.
    If you have for example 60m/s and want to convert to km/hr you do the following:

(60*1000km)/(60*60hr)=16.67km/hr. (You convert the numerator to km, and the denominator to hours).

There is also a very nice conversion factor: 60/3.6=16.67km/hr, to go the other way simply multiply by 3.6.

For 2.
    Power=J/s. Basically if you have a high power in your circuit, it means that a lot of energy is being converted per second. If your circuit contains a resistor and P is high, then lots of energy is being converted to thermal energy each second. P=EI because E is in volts which is J/C and I is current which is C/s and so if you multiply them together your left with J/s which is the unit of power.

4. Feb 21, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your answer, I think I get it. One more thing. When you're dividing by something like 2,5 , how do you do the division? I remember that for multiplication you did it normally, you counted how many decimals each number had, you added them up and that's how.many decimals the result has.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook